Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource assignment Importing

5 replies [Last post]
Shaun Chew
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello everyone,

i have an issue when importing resource assignments, if i export an excel file with activities and resource assignment data and adjust the budgeted labour units  ln the TASKRSRC tab and then import the excel file the units in p6 will be modified and it works fine. alternatively if i create my own excel file, (not modifying one that has been exported) instead of it modifying the budgeted units it creates an additional resource assignment to the activity and the existing assignment remains the same.

would appreciate any help on this, thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

yep best bet is to do one activity and export it and use this as a templte to import it. The only thing is you must know what fields that you need to export

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

Shaun,

I always, only, import date from Excel into P6 using the template I have exported. If you build a spreadsheet by hand, if it is not spelt perfectly, you could get the error you describe. I think that the import is not successfully identifying the Cost Control field, so creates a dupli cat rather than uodates the existing.

Shaun Chew
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David,

Yes i am importing the 'Cost Account ID' Column, this column seems to be a mandatory column when exporting. however i am leaving this field blank.

would this make a difference in my issue? thanks

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

to fix this go to Projects Directory on left make sure that your project is open and make sure that it is highlighted

Click on the Resources tab at the bottom and on the right on the bottom under Resource Assignments make sure that 

Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

Are you importing the Cost Account in your excel sheet? It is part of the index for the resource assignment table.