Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Remaining and Actual Units calculation issue

7 replies [Last post]
Rustam Sharifov
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Planners!

I need advice to understanding Remaining / Actual / At Complete Units calculation. There is 40hrs long activity to which a labor resource is assigned with 40h budgeted units. Calendar is 5d x 8hr. 

When activity started and DD moved 1 day ahead, I claim 20% Unit Percent Complete what makes Actual Labor Units=8h, Remaining Labor Units=32h and At Complete Labor Units=40h. However if I claim 40% Unit Percent Complete  for the same DD - Actual Labor Units=8h, Remaining Labor Units=12h and At Complete Labor Units=20h. However I need that At Complete Labor Units are equal to the Budgeted Labor Units. 

TASK SETTINGS:

• Activity Type=Task Dependent;
  • Duration Type=Fixed Units;
  • % Complete Type=Units.

WBS SETTINGS:

• Technique for computing Estimate to Complete (ETC): ETC=remaining cost for activity

PROJECT SETTINGS:

• Link Budget and At Completion for not started Activities = Checked;
  • Subtract Actual from At Completion = Selected;
  • Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes = Checked;
  • Link actual to date and actual this period units and costs = Checked.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 16 hours ago. Offline

Go to tools global change New

Where Units % Complete is not equal to 0

then duration % complete = Units % complete

now on the right Change 

then on the bottom Committ

Rustam Sharifov

Hi Zoltan,

I need to use Units % Complete type, not Duration % Complete. Can the calculation be fixed with Units % Complete setting? Thanks!

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 16 hours ago. Offline

you are using units not duration % complete for percent comeplet type

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Rustam Sharifov

No, I didn't do twice amount of work with the same labor. When I claim 20% initially I get 8hrs actual, however then I increase Unit Progress Percent to 40% meaning that actual hours shall be 16hrs and remainder 24hrs, however I get actual 8hrs and remainder 12hrs instead. 

Rustam Sharifov

No, I didn't do twice amount of work with the same labor. When I claim 20% initially I get 8hrs actual, however then I increase Unit Progress Percent to 40% meaning that actual hours shall be 16hrs and remainder 24hrs, however I get actual 8hrs and remainder 12hrs instead.  

Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

If I understand your issue to claim 40% you did twice the work with the same amount of labour.  (good for you) so the calculations are correct.  Why do you need to have the budgetted hours equal the actual.   If you save on this task somewhere along the way the hours will equal out as it may take longer on another task during the project.