Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Managing big projects with P6 EPPM (web-based)

5 replies [Last post]
Chary Chary
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all, I just wanted to check whether somebody has practical and real experience of managing large projects (hundreds of tasks) with P6 EPPM (web-based). It is clear, that desktop version allows managing big project, but web-based??? Having working with it for a while now (with small projects) I have my doubts whether it is really usable for big ones. It is so slow, often loses connections and requires periodic browser refresh, because it stops working properly, that I am not sure at all it is practically usable for big projects. What is your experience?

Replies

Chary Chary

From my experience I at the moment would like to warn anybody from using web version of EPPM.

I can imagine, that Oracle had to effectively rewrite a huge chunk of historical code first in Java and now in Java-script to move desktop version to WEB.

Whilst I admire the efforts they have taken, at the moment it just does not work well. Not to mention the natural limitation of not being able to manage thouthand of activities in Web interface, even with small amount of activities the software has a lot of bugs, some of them are difficult to hunt down, because they do not manifest 100% of time.   

I do not know, when web-based version will be comparable with the desktop one in functionality and stability, if ever.

If you think of it, for a monster like Google it took more than 10 years of intensive development to bring Google Sheets to be comparable in functionality with desktop Excel (plus all collaboration features, which are great), but Google Docs for instance still lags   behind MS Word, so my guess it will take Oracle a lot of time, before desktop version can be practically used.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Chary, I did smile at your concept of a large project having hundreds of tasks. I would say more than ten thousand is large. The web based EPPM interface is unused in my client base, as a browser is no place to pivot 10,000 rows. The windows client works perfectly well with the EPPM database. You will continue to need the web interface for administration purposes. The Windows client often needs Citrix installed in order to function with good performance.
Chary Chary

To continue on this topic.

• Is there a way to connect to EPPM database from the desktop client?
  • did somebody have practical experience with this?
Chary Chary

Santosh,  

I work in the company, where EPPM was implemented by a management decision, so I don't have too much choice.   And for our not big projects it works well (there are challenges in integration of P6 with Oracle ERP, but this is another story) But my question is: what is peoples experience in using EPPM for large projects? What is the practical project size limit somebody reached? In general, what are the areas, where EPPM is used? I am reaching on this forum, because here I shall get a more real picture, then from Oracle marketing web site.
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
Stick to the P6 professional client. EPPM web-based is not designed for large scale schedules.