Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Exporting P6 Project to Import on Laptop

7 replies [Last post]
Jeff Waldrop
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I exported a project from one computer so to import on another via an XER.  The project has quite a few EPS level Activity Codes and none of these are coming over with the import onto the Lap top.  Any reason why?  There are no options to elimnate EPS codes on the Export to the XER file, and I don't remember any on the import function....

Any idea why?

Any help is certainly appeciated.  I was hoping the Resource Dictionary table and EPS or any activity code tables would come over with the project on export.....

Jeff

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline

Steven,

Very good point, this method is only suitable for one-way interactions.

I always advise clients to only Use EPS Activity Codes if they know the information will always be "live" in that database only. Its s a shame as EPS Activity Codes is a particularly useful tool of P6. They need to implement such a feature for a lot of other aspects of P6 sucha s Calendars, Resources, UDf's, Layouts..But that would require Oracle to actually understand how some are using their tool.

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Whilst that work around works to enable the import to your laptop, be careful if you are looking to import back from your laptop to the original database, as it will no longer import into the eps code & will instead import as a global code in the original database.
If you want to import an eps code, create the eps code type in the new database before importing the xer file & the codes should then import against the eps code in the new database.
Please note that the eps activity code name will need to match exactly for this to work.
Hope this helps
Steven
Jeff Waldrop

This work-around worked like a charm. 

Thank You, Very Much.  This is good reference material....

Jeff

Jeff Waldrop

Jeff

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline

Jeff, 

EPS Level activity codes are fussy in regards to internal database ID's  If your database on the laptop is an exact copy of the database on the source computer, then the Internal ID's for EPS activity Codes will match and they will import. However, more than likley the two databases are not exact, therefore EPS activity Codes will not match and not import on the laptop.

There is an easy workaround.

1) Make a copy of your XER file

2) Open this copy in Notepad so you can edit it.

3) Search for the test "AS_EPS", and you'll see when it finds this, a list of all your EPS Activity Codes

4) Replase all instances of "AS_EPS" with "AS_Global" 

5) Save this file, make sure you save with a *.XER extension and not *.txt

6) Import his copied XER file into your Laptop's P6 Database.

All the EPS Level Activity Codes will now be imported as Global Activity Codes and retain assignments to activities. No tideal, but at least they are all there.

Jeff Waldrop

Thank you very much, I bet that is my issue.  I will check into that....

Jeff

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

for the export

make sure that you have the proper RIGHTs to export this information it it under Admin Security Profiles

make sure that ALL of the boxes are checked.\

for the import make sure to check insert new during the importing process