Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 17.12.1 is NOT calculating correctly!

4 replies [Last post]
Luiz Claudio Cruz
User offline. Last seen 2 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have used P3, P5, and P6 for many years, but this latest version of Primavera P6 needs URGENT REVISING!
It is really troublesome, and I will AVOID IT as much as I can from now on!

1) Even though the Start Date considers constraints entered after the project has begun, the Finish Date value is NOT considering!  Furthermore, the Finish Date considers the original Start date (without constraint) plus lag (if any), and can be entered DIRECTLY.  In this case it will function more or less like a "Finish Milestone" - without being displayed as such!!

2) The Finish Date of Finish Milestones with many FF relationships is NOT selecting the latest one, but instead, it seems to use the "Finished" value in its Status. 

Any help here?

Luiz Cruz

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

1) not true both start and finish dates are considering during the scheduling calculations

2) What type of finish constraint are you using ?

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

Not having these problems with any version 17 or 18.

As Santosh says the core sceduling algorithms have not (sadly) changed in almost 20 years

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

I need a refresher course, but as far as I know, automatic scheduling (using a software) really hates constraints especially for a "Finish Date". 

Why should a planner need a software to calculate the Finish Date of a certain project or activity when it is already known to him/her? 

A software may able to calculate a backward pass and of course a forward pass (for thousands or even millions of activities), otherwise, it's useless.

Likewise, a human Planner may be able to do the same for fewer activities. 

The difference is: Humans are prone to mistakes!

Perhaps, just remember GIGO.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

17.12.1 is not the latest version. But regardless the core scheduling system hasn't changed for almost ten years.