Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Activities in which WBS Level in any view

5 replies [Last post]
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

All,

Is there a way of showing the WBS level in any view? Even a formulae in global change to show the WBS level that the activity is in would help.

Thanks

Pranab

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Prenab,

I don't know of any in0built field in P6 that tells you that any particular activity is "level4" or "level7" of the WBS hierarchy.

If I was tasked with presenting this, I would generate an activity Number UDF field, an use Excel to generate a value that would be imported back into the schedule to present. But you need to do this each time new activities were generated or if the WBS structure was changed.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 58 min ago. Offline

While other software can display WBS level as an activity field it looks like P6 cannot.Activity_WBS_leveljpg_Page1

Of course P6 know the level and indent activity names accordingly, therefore if using Excel this can be calculated.

https://doduykhuong.com/2018/04/01/primavera-p6-export-to-excel-how-to-identify-wbs-level-for-activity/

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

do you mean in the gantt area where the bars are ?

if so in the gannt area rigth click bars 

look for current bar labels and highlight it 

then click on the bars label tab 

on the bottom click Add

then select the position that you want it on the bar

under label select wbs path 

or go to current bar 

click on bar labels 

then click on the bars label tab 

on the bottom click Add

then select the position that you want it on the bar

under label select wbs path 

if you are putting it under the bar make sure that the row hight is large enough to see it

if you are looking to band the wbs in the gantt area that is not possible 

Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Santosh,

I meant as a number, in the activities view have against each activity a number showing what WBS level the activity is in.

thanks

Pranab

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Try these:

1) Iin Group and Sort Options - for the WBS grouping you are using, tick the box to "Show ID/Code"

2) In Columns, show the "WBS Path" column