Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

% complete Type for Milestones in P6

23 replies [Last post]
sam dsoza
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good Evening

I use P6V8. The schedule I inherited has activties using "physical % complete" as most common way to status progress. So are milestones. 

As "activity percent complete based on activity steps" is checked at the project level, whenever I claim finish milestone, physical % complete shows 0% complete instead of 100%. This misleds foreman/engineers reading the schedule report who think planners missed to claim actual. 

The only work around i found is adding a step to milestone and claiming it 100% inorder to reflect 100% under physical % complete. This solution would have worked on a small project but with milestones running in 1000s it is not a feasible option.

Hence Want to check with fellow planner on what % complete type you set milestones to, while statusing other activities with steps which are set to "physical %" type.

TIA

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 35 min 21 sec ago. Offline

Now that you have a tedious but simple procedure it should just be a matter of creating a script.

If using Spider Project, if the user performs a task repeatedly, the user can automate this task using scripts. Script includes commands that perform individual tasks. Commands generally refer to certain items in program menus or dialog boxes.  

I find it easier to record scripts rather than using the script language, similar to recording an Excel macro. 

• So easy all is required is to know how to click the mouse.

When task recording falls short I complement it with the script commands I can pull down from a menu screen within the script editor.

If P6 does not provide for creating its own native scripts maybe you can if using external software such as Autohotkey, Mouse Recorder or any script/macro automation software of your liking. 

https://autohotkey.com/

http://www.mouserecorder.com/

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/make-your-computer-automatically-perform-tasks-for-you/

I tried long ago macro automation software but it worked following the computer screen so it might be the script cannot be transferred to different computer as when using more advanced software. It is like could take control of the screen, the mouse and keyboard but not the application menus or dialog boxes. I do not know Autohotkey or Mouse Recorder but are free and you might give it a try.  

Good Luck

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

glad I could help 

sam dsoza

Rafael,

It will not be able to as far as I can tell.

Zoltan's method would be the least tedious option.

Thanks all for the help and discussion on such a trivial yet critial item like % complete type.

Rafael Davila

Can P6 do the following?

GLOBAL SEARCH AND REPLACE

1. Search: for Status = completed activity
  2. Change: Step *(use wildcard) = complete(or whatever applies) 
  3. Then after all steps are marked completed maybe the % complete can be calculated by the software to be 100% with a schedule or cost calculation run.
  4. If the above does not works maybe you can filter activities for Status = completed and then mark as completed all steps in the Step Tab.

Good Luck.

Zoltan Palffy

I know for certain that the first global change works.

then I guess the easiest way would be to filter for milestones and then a 1 step 

sam dsoza

Thank you everone for the comments.

Zoltan, The global change does not work - 

where activity status = completed then physical percent = 100

There seems to be reluctance on changing the duration type on historical milestones esp. since they are complete wihch I do not disgree. for future milestones the thought is to add a step to a MS and claim 100% which is rather cumbersome and busy work. 

Zoltan Palffy

do not change the duration type just run a global change

where physical % complete is equal to 100

then duration % complete = 100

or 

where physical % complete is equal to 100

then activity status = complete

Rafael Davila

That you can assign physical % to a milestone but you cannot update the physical % is nuts, makes no sense for the software to allow this. 

Bug_ReportThis creates confusion, SAD.

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Sam Yes, you can assign physical % to a milestone but you cannot update the status. Milestones can only be updated when a % duration is assigned. Assigning activity steps to a milestone is no good practice. Milestones have no duration or volume of work.I suggest changing the milestones to duration type and update the actual start date in the status tab. The same applies to the steps. RegardsJohannes      
sam dsoza

Alexandre,

The preference was to keep all activiites to have same duration type so % complete could be reflected in column.

Nonetheless Good Point, I need to check if it wuld be alright to change the duration type on a 3 old project i inherited.

Rafael,

Although I agree with your comments, I cannot comment on the constraints of system. May be there is a reason why it is allowed that I am sure one of the mmore enlightened planners in this forum could educate us on.

Thx

Rafael Davila

The bottom line should be:

• If P6 milestone has zero duration and no resource can be assigned to it, what could be the reason for P6 to allow to status a milestone as per a physical achievement?
  • If there is no reason at all, why the software allows something that can create confusion?
Rafael Davila

Good to know.  Very weird indeed, I thought that by unchecking the Finish-Box you would be allowed to change %complete at activity level to 100% and this would do it; if activity with steps then 100% at activity level would flag finished for all steps.  

In such case I would rather not use the steps calculation mode, it is confusing and too convoluted.

Good Luck

sam dsoza

since activity with steps is already marked at the porject level, the only option that would work is adding a step to milestone and claiming it complete wihch seems a rather convuluted way of doing things. Hence wanted to see if theres a simpler work around to go about showing 100% percent complete in instances where "activity with steps" and "physical % complete" type is used in p6

Rafael Davila

I got another image, you are right, activity status for finished activity displays "completed", sorry for that I am not a P6 user but must deal with clients who have P6 so it is convenient to understand its behavior. Why not try unmark Finished Box on the status pane then change % complete to 100% and make any other necessary adjustment, then mark again the Finished Box.

P6-_Tracking-_Labor-_Units-_Figure-2

For image posting I use PostImage.

https://postimages.org/faq

How can I post images to a forum that doesn't use your plugin?

1. Click the "Choose images" button on the main PostImage page.
  2. Select the images you need to upload in the file browser that pops up. Once you click "Open", images will immediately start uploading.
  3. After your images have been uploaded, you will see an admin gallery view. Click the second drop-down box to the left of the code box and select "Hotlink for forums". If you only uploaded one image, this option will be in plain view instead.
  4. Click the Copy button to the right of the code box
  5. Open your forum's post editor.
  6. Paste the code copied from PostImage into the editor. The forum needs to have BBcode support enabled for this to work.

In order to enable BBcode in Planning Planet you must select Disable Rich Text, paste the code select Enable Rich Text and save your post/edit.  In order to know where to paste while in Rich Text Mode I add some easy to find text such as XXXXX then in Disable Rich Text mode I paste the code over XXXXX.

sam dsoza

Below is the snapshot from P6 highlihting the issue. Note that the  % complete is physical % complete which is not show.

(For some reason the image does not show up when i paste it - but %complete physical column shows 0% and activity status column shows completed)

Rafael Davila

I thought P6 activity status reads either started or finished, but complete? To have a finish date and the "Finished-box" empty that would be a BUG in the software. Hard to imagine it could happen but I would not be surprised if this could happen in a P6 database under some data entry/editing. Maybe to fix the problem you have to edit the "Finished-box" and the Finish-Date in some sequence. I recall hearing about this bug before but not the fix details. It looks like Zoltan might be on the right track to help you find a fix. 

activity_status

I do not use P6, I got the image on the web. 

sam dsoza

Zoltan

Activity status says its complete.

Rafael,

I dont think the data is corrupt. The project settings I selected is "activity with steps" which I believe is causing the problem. (or a combination of "activity with steps" with something else that I am not aware of)

Zoltan Palffy

if you add the activity status as a column what does it say ?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 35 min 22 sec ago. Offline

Top 5 reasons for Primavera P6 Poor Performance

• If the Global Changes are carried out in the wrong sequence this will lead to further corruption and often irreparable damage to the data
  • It looks like there are many ways to corrupt P6 database and often irreparable damage to the data if using Global Changes as well as if editing the database directly.
  • Maybe it is due to a fundamental mis-use of the “easy-to-use” Primavera system. If easy and fundamental why so many mis-use the Primavera system?

Schedule Updating and Maintenance using Primavera P6

Activity and Project Status

• Activities reporting 100% complete without an actual finish date may behave differently in a CPM network than those with one.
  • The data transfer system should not allow 100% complete and no actual finish date when % complete and actual finish dates are essential to the updating, instead a warning should be provided, otherwise the procedure is flawed.
  • Microsoft Project avoids this issue by only using % complete as the updating mechanism.
  • Another way to avoid this flaw is for the software not to use % complete as an updating mechanism such as Spider Project.

I hope you have not corrupted the data.

Good luck.

sam dsoza

I did set an actual start and finish date for activities and manually changed the % to 100% for activities.

For Milestones, all one can do is change the finish (or start) date to finish. The moment I do this, the "physical %" complete box also gets greyed out and stays at 0% despite the MS being claimed 100%

Zoltan Palffy

did you set an actual start or actual finish date  ? just sayng an activity is 100% complete does not make it complete you are still missing the actual start if it is a start milestone or an actual finish date if it is a finish milestone.