Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule Filters with WBS or codes Not Transferring

4 replies [Last post]
Diane Resenna
User offline. Last seen 3 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I've made several filters within a P6 schedule to show certain WBS sections, and FOW assigned codes.

I know how to save the layout, export layout and import again to transfer filters between schedules. For some reason however, P6 doesn't want to transfer those filters that include the WBS sections or FOW assigned codes. Those parts of the filters show up blank.

Has anyone experienced this or know why P6 behaves this way? It'd be nice not to have to re-do these filters with every schedule update I import.

Thanks!

Replies

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 days ago. Offline

Your short answer: Use "WBS path" as the parameter instead of "WBS" it should work with no problem

The other method is using "WBS name" as parameter but you need to be carefull for the duplicate names and also you need to include every sub category.

I would never bother with the Global activity codes or user defined fields if I can handle my problem without them.

Probably that's enough for you but if you want to know more: The reason that "WBS" parameter doesn't work in diffrent schedules is that when you use WBS as the parameter P6 translates your filter to something like this eventually : every activity with WBS_id=XXXX (prime key) which is refrenced from WBS table in the database(PROJWBS table in XER file). This is the reason that you can't get rid of project id in the WBS Value. One interesting fact is that in the P6 databse records Project ID and Also Project description is the WBS table and not in the project table! When you copy the projects, create update, import, export etc P6 creates and amend new WBS_ids to the end of WBS table as it is a new unique ID field in WBS table so WBS_IDs in no two projects even totally identical can be the same. By using "WBS path" or "WBS name" you are avoiding this problem.  

This is a sample filter by WBS parameter:

(table_name|TASK|source_field|wbs_id|op|under|arg1|2210314|arg2|)

(2210414 is the WBS_ID unique id in WBS database which returns "projid.LH.10" as the wbs full address and it is not repetative in nature

This is when you use WBS path as parameter:

(table_name|TASK|source_field|wbs_path|op|=|arg1|LH.10|arg2|)

which does not include the project. 

Hope it is not too confusing!

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 days ago. Offline

double post

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

David is correct EVERY project has the project id as the first part of the wbs so it is impossible to copy this becasue you can not have duplicated project ids that is what make a project unique. 

FOW stands for feature of work. You can make it a global code then use it. 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Diane,

WBS is project specfic in P6, so a filter that selects by WBS cannot transfer from one project to another.  Not sure what "FOW" stands for, but if it is a project specific code it will behave in the same was as WBS.