Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Toolbars disappeared completely

12 replies [Last post]
Wasi Raza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Ok. So I have been using Primavera for 15 yrs or so starting from Suretrak,P3,P5, and now P6. Have come across many bizzare issues before this, however this one is completely mind boggling. Woke up one day to find all toolbars and menus gone from P6 R8.3. Just like that. Disappeared. I do have a feeling it was caused by a windows configuration update.

Now, before all you smart asses start suggesting the following, here is a list I have already tried;

- Right clicking around all grey areas (The very first thing i tried)

- Alt + V  (No response from any Alt+V/F etc combinations)

- Someone suggested somewhere to look for a PrmBootstrap.xml file. I don't have it in my entire computer. Neither do my colleagues using the same Primavera installation.

-Someone suggested trying to edit PMNavigation. Not sure if they were referring to a file or menu command. In either case, no luck there either.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I want to find out my options before having to reinstall.

Thanks

Replies

Casey F
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline

I had the same thing happen, I lost all of the tool bars and drop down menus. I am running version 8.4. I was not really able to fix it, but i found a work around that will atleast let you get to work.  

I had to log in as an administrative user and delete my actual user account.  I then created a new one with the same username and password combonation.  WARNING on doing this however, you will loose all of your preferences, filters, layouts, etc. that were for your user only.  Luckily most of my filters an layouts were either saved globally or to the projects so everything wasn't lost. It's a crude way to fix it, but after research and being under time constraints to get the problem solved it was my only answer. 

I hope this helps!

Wasi Raza

Hello Zoltan,

Thanks for making an appearance.

I have been trying to resolve this issue for past few months and at the point of reinstalling the entire thing. I could not get into the db using 'admuser' however did manage to log in using 'admprm$pm'. When i run the query it gives the following error below;

failed to parse SQL query;

ORA 00920: invalid relational operator

Attached screen shots of the query. Am i not writing it correctly?  I also noticed that the 'User_data' field seems to be greyed out. Does that mean i cannot alter it?

Thanks for any help guys. If i can fix it this week, well and good. Otherwise, reinstallation is the only option.

Wasi Raza

Hello Zoltan,

Thanks for making an appearance.

I have been trying to resolve this issue for past few months and at the point of reinstalling the entire thing. I could not get into the db using 'admuser' however did manage to log in using 'admprm$pm'. When i run the query it gives the following error below;

failed to parse SQL query;

ORA 00920: invalid relational operator

Attached screen shots of the query. Am i not writing it correctly?  I also noticed that the 'User_data' field seems to be greyed out. Does that mean i cannot alter it?

Thanks for any help guys. If i can fix it this week, well and good. Otherwise, reinstallation is the only option.

richard wall
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

In case this happens to anyone. My scroll on the bottom often disappears. And some other stuff along the bottom part of the window disappears also. Messed with everything for a while....and discovered. In the activities window the X at the right top side to close the activity window. Well, I clicked the X and closed out the activity window. And then clicked on the activity bar on the left side menu and the when the activity window opened again....here was the scroll bar on the bottom and also when using Resource Usage Spread Sheet do the same thing if your check boxes are hidden.

Wasi Raza

Does anyone else here know how to decipher Mr. Zoltans one off cryptic message from beyond? I am now logged into the Oracle Database Express Edition. As i understand, I have to go the Query Builder under SQL and create a SQL Query. What i fail to understand is the actual query itself. Do i need to type the entire code in or edit some bits out of it? 

Wasi Raza

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply. Does it mean I have to click on the database at the P6 login screen and then select 'Configure'? I have tried logging into it using admuser with several passwords but it always gives me 'Bad public username or password' error and does not let me configure the database.

Am i going in the right direction?  

Wasi Raza

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply. Does it mean I have to click on the database at the P6 login screen and then select 'Configure'? I have tried logging into it using admuser with several passwords but it always gives me 'Bad public username or password' error and does not let me configure the database.

Am i going in the right direction?  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 days 18 hours ago. Offline

his issue because of corrupt data in your user preference table, hence connect in to the database using admuser and run this below query will help you to delete the corrupted user data.

Update userdata set user_data = null where topic_name = 'pm_settings' and user_id in (select user_id from users where user_name = '<username>');

note : <username> is the user's login id for Primavera

Login to P6 it will recreate the user preference

Wasi Raza

Do you know if there is a specific file in Primavera installation that deals with menus? navigation etc?  I am wondering if that specific file is corrupted and i can replace it from another clean installation.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

The ALT-x  keyboard commands got them going until :

1) One new Pc was already ordered

2) complete re-install

Wasi Raza

Thanks David. Tried Alt+E & Alt+T. No response. It seems as if the Alt functions are not active anymore.

Was there a resolution to this at your clients? Or fresh reinstall is the only option?

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Yes, this is familiar. I have had a couple of clients struggle with this. Not known how it is caused.  Try ALT E for Enterprise, ALT T for tools etc.....