Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Wrong Critical Path

4 replies [Last post]
vigeeth salian
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Friends,

My issue is i am getting wrong Critical Paths & i know it is wrong.

How can i tackle it.

Links are properly connected.

Please give the solution.

Regards,

Vigeeth

Replies

vigeeth salian
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks a lot guys:)

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 32 min ago. Offline

P6 calculations for Critical Path in particular under resource leveling are so unreliable that it can be anything you want it to be. It is self-serving, just click on any activity you want P6 to identify as critical on the Critical/Longest Path columns.

https://www.planacademy.com/show-critical-path-in-p6/

AmbiguousCP photo AmbiguousCP_zpsawopbjor.jpg

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

make a new code call it MyPath and give it the code value of MP now add that code column to your data section

filter for the last activity in the schedule now on the relationship tab in the predecessor window right click and select custom predecessor columns and select driving AND critical. 

now filter for the final activity in the schedule now look at the predecessor window and find the predecessor where bot critical and driving is checked. Click on that activity and then select GOTO keep doing this until you get back to the data date.

now in the  MYPath column in the first activity give it the vlaue of MP now do a fill down for the rest of the activiites that you jumped to.

now filter for MyPath 

William Manley
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Good Afternoon Vigeeth,

My first recomendation would be to check your Critical Path Settings.  When you hit F9, there will be a tab labelled "Schedule Options".  Make sure this is set for "Longest Path" and not "Total Float".  Also, you may want to check for any weird constraints or out of place milestones.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Billl