Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What We Can Expect In Primavera P6 16.1

9 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Here's a look at what we can expect In Primavera P6 16.1 http://ow.ly/108frv

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Tim,

Yes, it is valid for the stand-alone version - BUT you would need to install it with SQL Express, not SQL LIte. I use SQL EXpress 2014 on my laptop version (thanks, Tensix) much better than SQL LIte and not missing any features (like Baseline Update)

Tim Readman
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

David

Thank you for the advice on Collabros Legare . i have sent off an enquiry to them to register for a demo. Is it viable for the Standalone version and has it been successfully used elsewhere. ? anyhting else in the market place ?

Regards

Tim

David Kelly

Correct. It cannot be made to work with the Mickey-Mouse SQL Lite database.  Install it with SQL Express. See a blog on the tensix web site.

David,

there is a simple solution: to use Spider Project that has everything you may need and export the resulting schedule to P6 if necessary.

David Kelly

The real good news in 16.1 is that after 14 years "update baseline" ACTUALLY WORKS!

For the last 14 years that I know about (If I remember correctly update baseline was new in version 2.0) when the update baseline added a new activity into the baseline that had resources associated with it, it added the defaut allocation of the resource from the resource dictionary and not the actual Budgeted Units from the Resource Assignment record. Fine for silly MSP-Lite projects where each eight hour activity has eight hours of budgeted unts, but worse than useless if you have a norms-based estimating system feeding the manhours directly into P6.

.....now IF ONLY we had an equivalent of Spider's Projects "volume % complete"........

David Kelly

Tim,

I have a client who has successfully made a datasource in 16.1 that the SDK can use. Getting the IT grunt who did it to write the steps down has proved too diffcult.

The real solution is to buy Collabro's Legare product that solves all P6 integration problems through the API rather than the SDK. That includes full control of all dictionaries

Tim Readman
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

The update to 16.1 prevents users using the SDK and the Dictionary file to import data to the database. Terrrible !