Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing resources and budgeted labor units from excel to P6 (2 diff programs)

6 replies [Last post]
Anas Khan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have two programs.

1) original baseline.

2) substantial completion mep program.

What i have to do is, import resources and budgeted labor units from (2) to (1), but when i do this, it does not happen.

I think as they are two different programs, i will have to map the WBS(es) as well.

Can you help me out with this issue?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

no problem

Anas Khan

Thank you.

Anas Khan

Thank you.

Zoltan Palffy

yes a straight copy will suffice then you can arrange the structure. When you copy it you have the option of copying the activities associated with the wbs or uncheck the activities option and just copy the wbs structure

Anas Khan
Thanks for the reply zoltan. The last step that u mentioned for wbs, just a direct copy past from one project to the otherwill suffice?
Zoltan Palffy

1st make sure that in 1) that calculate costs from units is NOT checked if it it run a global change to uncheck it  

Then export the costs and unit information from 2) to excel then import the cost and unit information into 1). 

Make sure that during the export that you select resources and resource assignments also in the export in the columns for export make sure that you select resource name resource type budged labor units and budgeted labor costs.

Then import this into p6

for the wbs open both projects and copy the wbs from one project to another make sure that you are in the wbs directory when you copy the wbs