Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baselines & Reporting / Column Layout

No replies
Murray Geddes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

I've not used Primavera for some time, and have recently started working on a project which requires me to use P6 (r8.3).

In my previous role as a Contractor's Senior Planner, I was creating reports which were tracking the project(s) on the headline activities (L1/L2) using the start/finish variances from two Baselines (current agreed programme & previous month progress update). This report contained a lot of info, but it allowed the Contractor's PM and the Client's PM to see "problem" areas, and also contained notes from the programme relating to relevant events (current EW's/CE's/PMI's/SN's etc. under an NEC contract) once it was explained. Both PM's found the report useful, and it was successfully replicated on a few other projects. For these projects, I was using CS Project Pro, and was able to not only extract the programme data effectively, and then present this data to the various PM teams and Construction teams effectively.

On the current project, I wish to replicate this report, however, I have been unable to find a number of column options that allow me to extract the correct information. As stated previously, I haven't used P6 for quite some time (about 7 years), and although I have been able to find my way around, I still have a few things that require further enlightenment from those in the know.

% Complete: I encountered a problem trying to show the Baseline 1 (original agreed programme) % Complete, as it would only show either the Activity % or the Summary %, not both. Using "Schedule % Complete", I have managed to show both Activity & Summary %'s for Baseline 1 (though the Summary %'s are questionable). For Baseline 2, I have been unable to find anything that shows the Summary %'s. I'm also having an issue with the Current % figures, as the Duration %'s and Activity %'s can be quite different, I'm having to double check the two and make sure they match up.

Variance: I have been able to show Variance against Baseline 1 Start/Finish, but I have been unable to track down the Variance info for Baseline 2 (previous month's progress).

Having used both Asta PowerProject and the massively underrated CS Project previously, all the above data was not only easy to find, but it was easy to extract into reports in Excel, be it in CSV form or a simple Copy and Paste exercise. I'm getting a little frustrated with P6...