Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 - Budget at task level and Actuals at Summary level

4 replies [Last post]
Mel Ambrose
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I would like to enter budget cost by loading resources and expenses on activities (for example carpenter 8 hrs, truck 1 day, lumber $250), but our accounting system tracks cost at a higher level, so I would like to enter actuals at a higher level. Is this doable? When I tried entering actuals at the summary level, I couldn't find a way to add summary cost without adding resources, and if I add resources then I am addinig to the man-hours in the schedule. I am new to using P6 for cost, so I may simply be exposing my ignorance. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Mel

WBS-summary is always related to a wbs. Relationships can be assigned but are ignored. I would use them because costs in general are related to a wbs.

LoE covers a group of activities independent from a wbs. You'll need a predecessor and a successor. 

Regards

Dieter

Mel Ambrose

Is thre any difference between using a LOE task to spread cost or a WBS summary task?

Mel Ambrose

Is there any difference between using a LOE task to spread cost or a WBS summary task?

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mel

If you do a detailed planning in P6 it is quite common to do cost- and resource planning on a higher level. Try level of effort (similar to hammocks) type activities which span over a group of activities for the assignments.

Good planning!

Dieter