Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Query regarding how to choose EPS for a particular situation

5 replies [Last post]
bindu devi reddy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Everyone,

I just know the basics of Primavera and trying to figure out what could be the best for the below described situation.

The engineering group does the design of Y product. That Y product has three sub products say Y1, Y2 and Y3. And there are three different groups that has engineers to deal with respective products. And there are some 100 projects the engineering group as a whole is dealing with.

So my question is, is it better to create a one single while with all the projects in it or to create separate projects? Because if I create as seperate projects, would it be possible for me to track the schedule in future for the individual engineering sub groups? Does EPS any way help with this situation of mine.

Please lemme know if anyone has faced this situation and how you handled it.

Thanks

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline

Bindu

to your other question:

P6 will put the start of all activities onto the data date and they will run in parallel. Does this make sense?

Regards

Dieter

Dieter Wambach

Bindu,

sorry I made a mistake in my response - I corrected it meanwhile: If you have specific access rights for one EPS node, then you'll have them for all nodes BELOW as well.

But for you only the consideration of budget will be relevant. In a normal company the budget is distributed:

Area --> Goup of projects --> Project --> Part of a project (deliverable) with different names and/or different number of levels. Exactly this situation you can reflect in Primavera and run the activities against it.

With more projects an EPS will be helpful in any case.

Good luck!

Dieter

bindu devi reddy

Thanks Dieter.

yeah all the projects have their own budgets but same user using all the projects. So I guess choosing different EPS would help me in this situation.

Also I have one more question, is it possible to use primavera for a project where none of the activities are related to each other? I mean all the activities in the project are independent, they have no relationships. Is it worth while to use p6 for this type of project. It is not a constuction project.

Thanks

Bindu

bindu devi reddy

Thanks Dieter.

yeah all the projects have their own budgets but same user using all the projects. So I guess choosing different EPS would help me in this situation.

Also I have one more question, is it possible to use primavera for a project where none of the activities are related to each other? I mean all the activities in the project are independent, they have no relationships. Is it worth while to use p6 for this type of project. It is not a constuction project.

Thanks

Bindu

Dieter Wambach

Bindu

The EPS can be compared with a rack or a board with several locks. Along the EPS you assign access rights and budget.

- How is the budget distributed - if you'll integrate them into Primavera?

- Access rights: If you have a right for one node, you'll have this right for all nodes BELOW as well.

- Avoid chaos: If you put paper into a binder you'll keep a certain structure to find it again.

Hope tis may help.

Dieter