Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Expanding Task Usage View

5 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a simple way to expand each task on the Task Usage View so that it shows individual resources against the task rather than the total for all resources?

In the example below, I have manually expanded task 213 to show the two resources and their hours, but I can't seem to find a way to do this quickly. I've tried using "Outline-Show All Subtasks" but I suspect that this only works with tasks and not resources.

task_usage_view_example_for_pp.jpg

Other than manually opening each task or exporting the information to Excel, is there a quicker way to do this?

Many thanks.

Replies

Tony McClennon

Tom/Alex,

Thank you for your replies.

It looks as if the problem I am having is a result of filtering out the tasks. It is a five-phase project, and I am populating just one phase.

All of the tasks have a Phase reference in a customised text field, but I noticed when expanding each task that the resource allocations do not, so simply by pasting the phase reference against all of the resources on the task usage view, the problem is solved.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to help - very much appreciated.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Tony,

It seems your installation may require repair.  Outline-"Show all subtasks" works fine for me as it does for Alexandre - using both MSP 2010 and MSP 2016.  That is, clicking the command in the Task Usage view opens all tasks to view all tasks and their resource assignments. You can also select multiple tasks and use the outline "Show/Hide Subtasks" command to roll the assignments in or out.  Good luck, tom

Tony McClennon

Hi Alex,

Thanks for replying. I can use the "Outline-Show All Subtasks" or "Level X" options to show all the tasks without any problem.

However, if I want to show each of the resources allocated to the tasks below the task name (as per line 213 in the extract above), the only way I can do this is by clicking on the expand arrow against each task (rather like opening out a summary bar).

Unfortunately this is extremely time consuming, and most of the time I am trying to do this, I manage to click outside of the expand arrow and all the resource rows are then hidden again.

Should have mentioned that I am using Project Professional 2016.

Since posting, I have been doing a bit more searching and on previous versions of MS Project, you could apparerently achieve this by using Resource Allocation via an option on the "outline" icon, but which seems to have been removed in MSP 2013/6.