Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float not calculating correctly

3 replies [Last post]
praneet k
User offline. Last seen 3 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello-  I have a problem with the total float not showing correctly. I have activity47 which is completing on 13MAY2022 which will be a predecessor to activity 6  ( meaning first activity 47 will complete and then activity 6 will follow). My acitivity 6 can ONLY start on 18MAY2022. I want the activity 6 so start on 18MAY 2022, so that the total float between activity 47 & 6 will be 3 days. I put a finish no later than constraint of 18MAY2022, so that the float is correct, but the date is still 13MAY 2022.  I need to have both the start date to be 18MAY2022 so that the float will be 3 days.

But when i force the date to be 18MAY 2022, the float becomes 0. so the project is not calculating the float correctly?? or am i m

project.jpg

issing something??

Replies

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Here's how you get what you want:  as Alexandre suggests, apply a SNET (or better a FNET) constraint of 18May'22 to ID6.  Then also apply a Deadline=18May'22 to ID6.  (Use a clocktime format so you can confirm the time of day is the same for both.) The result will be TS=0 on ID6 and TS=3d on ID47.

Here your ID6 is a "Contract Date Milestone" for PAT complete.  I would also recommend a separate "Forecast Date Milestone" for PAT complete - logically inserted between ID47 and ID6, but with no constraint or deadline.

Good luck, tom  

praneet k
User offline. Last seen 3 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

OKay i did do that. But then the date become 18MAY but the float becomes 8 days. I am guessing its calculating the float from the end date of the project which is 27MAY2022