Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to show client delays to project in Ghantt chart & alternatively claim for lost time.

3 replies [Last post]
Timothy Reducha
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good day everyone! 
I'm a novice user of Project, and i have problems with clients causing delays, and i wish to show this(if you agree this is the place to do it), within my ghantt chart for client, consultant and contractor to see this,,for my endgame of protecting my interests to illustrate the delays don't come from my end(contractor) and to eventually raise a claim for extending the project, thereby extending my costs to my contractors.

Example: In a fit-out venture, the client agreed to supply the lighting, and on my created time schedule, all parties agreed to my project plan timeline. So on my scheduled time, i set up scaffolding to a 15meter height scaffold, the client delayed the lighting delivery to the entire project, and increased my scaffolding rental time, increased my labor costs, which in turn delayed my painters schedule etc etc.

Can i illustrate this lost time due to client in my ghantt chart?? and how??

Thank you, all!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Timothy

You must still show the delay effect of the late delivery of the light fittings on the future progess of the work.

Show the employers delay period in a task bar on the installation of the lighting and impact the end date.

Report the rolling delay every week with contractual notices.

You may have been premature in getting the scaffold up early but that is different discussion.

Best regards

Mike T.

Timothy Reducha
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

That seems like good,logical advice. I'll take it as a lesson learned for the future. Just another one of life's lessons!!.

Thank you. 

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Timothy, As the contractor, you have a duty (ethically and according to typical contract terms) to a) notify the Owner of the delay, and b) mitigate the delay to the maximum extent practicable. Burying delay events in your schedule for later digging up as part of a claim seems to go against these obligations. Responsibility for the delaying event is assigned outside of the schedule control process. The consequences of the delaying event can be analyzed using a well developed and updated schedule. This can be more difficult to do in MSP than in other tools. As a novice, I would not advise you to be optimistic regarding your chances.