Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do you communicate schedule and tasks to project team

5 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

may be a stupid question, but just wondering: how do you communicate "who is doing what and when" to your project team, when doing schedule in MS Project. I do it in the following way:

• In Gantt Chard I create view, which I want to use to communicate schedule (e.g. show spesific columns, filter spesific date range)
  • In Gantt Chart I filter activities with Autofilter for a specific resource.
  • Then I copy and paste this filtered view into Excel and send to an individual.

This method works well starting from MS PRoject 2010, as functionality to copy from MSP and paste to other office applications has been significantly inproved.

Another alternative is to use Resource Usage view, but it has some disadvantages i.e.. it does not show the place of activity in the overall WBS structure, does not show activities successors and predecessors; other resources, which are involved in the same activity are difficult to see.

Regards.

Evgeny

Replies

Evgeny Z.

Vladimir,

yes, I know that it is automated in Spider, though I did not play around with it yet.

Regards.

Evgeny

Evgeny, I suppose that you know that what are you trying to do is automated in Spider Project.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Evgeny Z.
Mike, I understand, that may be communication of the schedule to all of those, who are supposed to implement it is not in the standard job description of a planner, still I want to ask a question to a community about how it is done in practice  Regards. Evgeny
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Evgeny

Whatever you tell them to do they will do what they want when they want to.

The planners job is to re arrange his schedule every week to try to keep up with what is actually going on.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Evgeny Z.

Dear all,

Is there really nobody to give a feedback on my what I thought was quite a simple question?

Imagine the situation: you create a schedule with many lines and now you want to communicate this schedule to a team in such a way, that everybody would know what they are doing and when. They shall also know how their activities fit into THE overall project schedule,  from the other side they do not need to know everybody’s else activities, otherwise they may simply get overloaded with information.

We can also assume, that most of the people do not have enough knowledge to setup a correct filters on MS Project to find themselves there, in case one decides to send a big MS Project tot hem.

So,  how are you doing it in practice?