Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Ms project - Actual cost column

6 replies [Last post]
Bala Murugan
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all planners,

I am using ms project-2007 for my scheduling works. I have created a schedule with work resource,cost resource and did save baseline. Now i want to change the values in actual cost column of cost resource based on the site progress but when i tried to do so, i got a problem. When i increase the value of actual cost more than that of baseline cost , the duration of the particular activity is also changing.

I increased the actual cost because of more wastage of materials in the particular activity. I didn't spend more manpower or duration.

Is there a way to enter the actual cost without disturbing the duration of the activity?

What am i missing?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ram

Replies

Bala Murugan

Evgeny,

Yes, you are right. Thanks for your help...

Regards,

Bala

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Bala,

I do not have project 2007, but I could not reproduce the behavior, described by you with MS Project 2010. The behavior I observed is as follows:

• It is not possible to change actual cost until activity is 100% complete. The actual cost in this case is calculated by the formula Actual Cost=Activity Cost*%complete
  • After activity is 100% complete, one can change actual cost and it does not change activity duration

Regards.

Evgeny

Bala Murugan

Hi kumar,

The task is fixed work and effort driven. I have assigend work resource and cost resource. I didnt assign material resource. I entered the material value as a cost resource for the activity.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Bala

Bala Murugan

Hi kumar,

The task is fixed work and effort driven. I have assigend work resource and cost resource. I didnt assign material resource. I entered the material value as a cost resource for the activity.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Bala

Kumar Baiju
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi bala

can you say what is the task type. Is it Fixed duration, fixed unit or Fixed work. another thing you have have to check that the activity is effort driven or not. Have you enter material resource.

Regards\\

Kumar Baiju
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi bala

can you say what is the task type. Is it Fixed duration, fixed unit or Fixed work. another thing you have have to check that the activity is effort driven or not. Have you enter material resource.

Regards\\