Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

AC in Earned Value Analysis

2 replies [Last post]
Mike Roberts
User offline. Last seen 14 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,
Has anyone experienced to input manually Actual Cost (AC) rather than automatically being calculated by MSP to get the earned value reports?

Something really interesting happens! If you input AC manually you will have ACWP (which will be calculated automatically) different with AC. Also in Visual Report it doesn’t show BCWP and BCWS. In other words all these costs are shown to be zero. Just gives ACs. Basically MSP calculates the AC based on the resources hourly rates. Sometimes you may have expended more than the amount work times by hourly rates of each resource.

If anyone has dealt with this problem before please give me some idea.

Thanks!!

Replies

Mike Roberts
User offline. Last seen 14 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Trevor for your help! I am aware of this option. My problem is MSP for Actual Cost of Work Performed (ACWP) calculates something different from Actual Cost field (AC) when you input actual costs manually rather than giving MSP calculates them using resource rates.

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In Tools, Options, Calculation is an option "Actual Costs are always calculated by Microsoft Project"

Of this option is checked, then you cannot input Actual Cost (usually in the Tracking Table). It will be "greyed out".
But if the Actual Cost of a task was different from this, then you turn off the option and will find that you can input the Actual Cost.