Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple critical paths

4 replies [Last post]
Lo Gary
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear,

Suppose my project has different trades e.g. basement, podium, transfer plate, superstructure, internal finish, external finish etc.
Do you think it is a good practice to use multiple projects technique (i.e. to produce each trade as a separate project and then combine into one master project by using INSERT, PROJECT command, so that each trade’s critical path could be visualize)Or, if I put all the trade into one programme at the very beginning under separate summary tasks, but use TO0LS, OPTIONS and tick CALCULATE MULTIPLE CRITICAL PATHS at the CALCULATION tab would give the same result??

GARY

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 2 min ago. Offline
Lo Gary,
It will be depends how the job are being manage. In your case I believed multiple projects would be better so it become more independent and allocated to each responsible supervisor or manager. It’s like Projects on an Enterprise level. Having critical path for each would be a good guide for each sections so they can manage it separately. It is up to you how you’re going to handle that situation in one Project.
Lo Gary
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear,

How about if my project is divided into different phases with different completion dates. Is it recommended to use multiple projects would be better, so that each phase has its own critical path ?
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
"TOOLS-OPTIONS, clicking CALCULATE MULTIPLE CRITICAL PATHS at the CALCULATION tab would give the same result??"

yes i think based on individual finish date
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gary,

Usually the Contractor is ask to prepare the Schedule or Program of Works for the scope that they are going to deliver. In this case, they will submit one Schedule.

If you are working on the Client side and you have 1+ contractors, then it is your responsibility to manage them in most cases. If you are in this category, then you need to use multiple projects.

With kind regards,

Samer