Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Problems converting from p5 to MS Project

3 replies [Last post]
David E
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I tried doing a search on this topic, and found some threads but nothing that really helped.

I am currently working on a project in which the client is requiring us to give them a copy of the schedule in MS Project. I am not a scheduler, but work in Project Controls and am trying to help out the schedulers. Here is the problem:

When the schedule is converted and opened in MS Project the durations are all jacked up. The dates are transferring wrong, with the finish dates being moved way out.

They have tried converting it to MPX and to XML and the XML version was even worse. When they tried to do this through excel the WBS hierarchy was not there (although it was exported from P5 and there was a field for it in excel.

Thanks for any help!

David

Replies

David E
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the suggestion...we will try that if the schedulers get a free moment.

Any other suggestions in the meantime are more than welcome.

David
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
suppose to say P5 not O5 my typing is awful!!!!!!!!1
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi david

this has always been a problem converting primavera to msp, what happens the lags change during conversion and sometimes the calendars go astray.

you say the durations are changing what you could do is copy the whole schedule from P5 including odur and rdur into exce;. once you have converted the 05 plan into MSP try copying the durations from the excel spreadsheet and see what happens.

hope that helps