Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fixed unit or fixed duration ?

4 replies [Last post]
Kutluhan ERGIN
User offline. Last seen 16 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi to all.
i m using ms project 2003, my schedule has not any resource and also i will not input any resource, my project must finish in 04/2009. i cofused which activity type using in this kind of project fixed unit or fixed duration and why?

Replies

Tommy Nug
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I think we often use fixed duration in our schedule. Then once you change the resource, it will not affect to our time.
And to face with resoure, i often use non effort driven
Kutluhan ERGIN
User offline. Last seen 16 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
thanx to all
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
If you are not using any Resources, and therefore are not calculating Work, the Task Type and Effort Driven settings have no effect anyway so it doesn’t matter which settings you use. Stick to the default Fixed Units and Effort Driven ON.
Even if you are using Resources and Work, you can mostly stick to the default anyway.
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Each of the task types affects scheduling when you edit one of the three following elements:

1) If you revise units...
2) If you revise duration...
3) If you revise work...

Fixed-units task: 1)Duration is recalculated. 2)Work is recalculated. 3)Duration is recalculated.

Fixed-work task: 1)Duration is recalculated. 2)Units are recalculated. 3)Duration is recalculated.

Fixed-duration task: 1)Work is recalculated. 2)Work is recalculated. 3)Units are recalculated.

Regards
JK