Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fixed duration, fixed units, fixed work, effort driven. How and why and when use all of it?

1 reply [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

If I look at it, Microsoft Project effectively has 5 types of tasks (fixed duration, fixed units, fixed work. Plus each of them can be either effort driven or not effort driven, except fixed work, which is always efforts driven)

I  am using MS Project quite for a while, but I could never really understand, why Microsoft effectively has 5 types of tasks, why it is needed, and in which situation use one and not the other.  For my schedules I use most of the time fixed duration and sometimes fixed work.

Does anyone has a good guideline about this?

Regards.

Evgeny

Replies