Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project File Bloat

16 replies [Last post]
Geoff Holt
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have a 64MB MS Project 2003 file containing approximately 2200 tasks with multiple resource assignments. This file has grown in size over recent months and is now becoming unmanageable. The schedule represents a project that is about halfway through a five year timescale and thus contains a lot of history that could not easily be built again from scratch.
I’ve done the rounds with my IT support and their inquiries to Microsoft. I now know the guidelines on recommended limits, minimising baselines held etc. I’ve also tried the suggestions from MVPs re .mpd/.mdb/.xml/ saving as/opening and saving immediately etc etc but none have provided the solution.
More than one source has now suggested that the only solution lies in VBA for MS Project expertise to create a transfer utility to a clean template.
Does anyone knwo of the existance of such a product or has anyone commissioned the creation of one ?
Many thanks,
Geoff

Replies

Kent Gifford
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I am having what seems like similar issues. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it so I hope I will get some sort of response to this post asap.

Issue: Ms Project 2010 File is running extreamly slow to the point where many tasks are taking 20 seconds or more to execute. For example clicking on the dropdown menu for the total slack task around 20 seconds to show up. Changing the duration 15 secs or more. Adding activities etc.

Some Facts:

File Size - sometimes 65k KB sometimes 100k kb.

I have saved as and renamed file to reduce the size. Sometimes it reduces the size sometimes it doesnt. But it doesnt change the time it takes to execute certain commands like i listed before.

creating the xml file didnt work still slow

tried copying the whole schedule and it just keep loading probably becasue it is to much data

3000ish tasks

2 diff calendars

one custom text column with a formula to produce status lights

10 baselines saved

I get this error message "there was a problem sending the command to the program" when opening the file i assume it means it is corrupted...

Please Help!!!

Geoff Holt
Thanks for the suggestion Richard. At the first attempt the file size reduced from 64,555KB to 64,297KB. Subsequent saves to new names unfortunately didn’t reduce the file size any further.

Regards,
Geoff
richard perry
User offline. Last seen 11 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Open the project file, and then don’t do anything other than save it to a new filename.

This often cleans things up.

Geoff Holt
Thanks for that - I’ll see what response I get from my IT support - as with many large organisations the IT support is outsourced and there will need to be some discussions.....

Regards,
Geoff Holt
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
If you delete the Actuals then the Task Start will change from the Actual Start to (well, there are a variety of possiblities depending on Predecessor/Successor relationships, task constraint types/dates ...) so I’d leave them alone for now.

As for the server version ... you can d/l a free trial of Server and a free trial of Pro and there’s some good documentation about installing both on a single machine.

I suspect that if you made your case (about the file size issue) they’d be willing to give you a loaner so you can try out the possible fix. Your only "big" (note the quotes) issue is that you might want it set up so that you can easily refresh the machine to an uninstalled state in case something goes wrong during your install.

So ... 1. d/l the server and pro trial versions; 2. get your fresh machine; 3. copy the d/l’d files to the fresh machine; 4. make an image of the fresh machine with the d/l files; 5. try installing the d/l files -- if it works then it’s great and if it fails then refresh your machine with the copy you made in step 3.

I’m working in a *large* org right now and we had to do something similar on a different project ... took the usual 2 weeks to move the paperwork through and the machines were returned at the end of the test. Not really a "biggie" because we did the work -- note, we did need an exception to get machines where we had access to an Admin account and had the admin password.
Geoff Holt
Thanks for the response L.E.N. Lewis.

Interesting comment about the file size - I don’t really know what file size to expect for my project. It was 11MB when baselined about 2 1/2 years ago. There are probably less assignments in it now but a fair amount of progress history and some Actuals. However, over the life of this project there has been an awful lot of re-structuring, deleting, re-assigning. And this was before I knew about Saving As and saving to .mpd etc etc to clean up.

I was tracking Actuals in the schedule until about a year ago when it was decided that the primary tool for this would be our EVM system, Cobra. Do you see any problem in my deleting all Actuals that are in the project ?

I could also lose all but the primary Baseline. I had tried that before but hadn’t then continued to try saving to a clean template afterwards.

I’ve been pointed to a VBA talent within my company and he’s chewing this problem over at the moment. I’ll let this Forum thread know if he makes a breakthrough.

Unfortunately I can’t see myself getting anywhere with a Server version due to the IT support setup in my company......

Regards,
Geoff
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
You’ve tried all the approaches that I was going to suggest. Well, all but 1.

Save it to a previous version’s format. Use a previous version to open and save it. Then use the current version to open the file. I’ve never tried this but you’ve tried everything else!

There might actually be a legitimate reason for the large size: how many baselines are you carrying and how much tracking of Actuals are you doing? If you’ve got several baselines and you’re tracking the Actuals for a large number of resources then you’re carrying a large amount of data.

As for the VBA backup ... that just ain’t gonna happen. All of the basic info for the project, tasks, resources and assignments is exposed by the object model. But lots of stuff just isn’t available. How much? Save the file to an Access database format and look at the number of memo fields. Those fields are binary data and much (all?) of it isn’t exposed via the object model.

Now ... if you have project server, you get better definitions of the underlying data structures (though there is some duplication of data for a variety of reasons including performance).

Hmmm ... that suggests another possiblity. If you can get a trial version of Server and a trial version of Pro up and running then you could put the file onto that machine, open it in Pro, publish it to the server, pull it back out and see what you’ve got.
Geoff Holt
Thanks for the input Trevor. I haven’t exhaustively explored the site you suggested but a number of the entries are copies of responses by MVPs to my ’File Bloat is becoming a showstopper’ post.

Unfortunately none of the suggested solutions from MVPs was successful and the thread petered out because I was unable to commission the writing of a macro on behalf of my company at that time. This was a final solution offered by one of the MVPs.

Now that I’ve exhausted my companies IT Support route I may be back in the game and get approval to get some VBA written. I feel this would be a really useful utility to have available and I’m a little surprised that such a thing isn’t already on the market. The intention of my original post was to find out if there is.

Regards,

Geoff
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
OK, you have successfully provoked a response.
If you are just going to vent and froth at the mouth, why not just stay out of the discussion?
How about something constructive and helpful, based on actual knowledge or research?

MSP works fine. Also, it ain’t going away anytime soon. Sure, it has a few idiosyncrasies. So what, big deal. There are people who know what they are doing with it (and they are not fools). There are plenty of people who slag it off when they cannot make it work because they spend their time and effort fuming rather than understanding.
There are people who go out and buy way more expensive software so that can produce a much more expensive mess than they were previously capable of.

The file size problem is well known and discussed and solved many times in the newsgroup at microsoft.project.public (have you ever looked there?), where you will find some of the people who know what they are doing (who are not fools).

Try this:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.project/search?group=mic...

Try this:

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or...
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
geoff

you could get a copy of suretrak which only costs about £400, this is basically a cut down version of P3, but can handle any programme much better than MSP, also can convert programme very easily

regards

brad
Geoff Holt
Tried that one thanks Zhang - not able to save the entire file as an .mpd. So I broke the schedule up into 4 parts, saved each as an .mpd then back again as an .mpp. Then I put the 4 parts back together in a clean template and refreshed the preds/succs fields from the original to remake links that were lost in the process. Still no joy - large file that won’t save as a .mpd.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Has someone tried save the project to mdb file, then re-save to .mpp?
Geoff Holt
Thanks for your comments/suggestions guys.

My file does not contain any logos - and never has.

Deleting large amounts of the schedule makes the file size increase. This is one of the most frustrating aspects. Something to do with the functioning of the database behind MS Project - for which there does not seem to be a ’compact database’ option.

Clinically copying/pasting parts of the schedule to clean templates and then re-bulding from these into another clean template has reduced the file size from 64MB to 53MB. This closes the gaps and gives me UIDs that align with IDs. Unfortunately the resulting file is still large and will not save as an .mpd to enable me to use the data within other company PM applications.

Does anyone have any info on the VBA for MS Project approach to fixing this ?

Thanks,
Geoff

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
I have a 20mb MSP file with no activities or resources.

This may fix some files but not mine.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Why not archive a copy of the plan and delete the completed activities??

regards

brad
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
There are several thing that make this happen, there was a post earlier on this topic.

In my experience adding a logo increase the file size by 20 and will not decrease when the logo is deleted.

To fix this problem I create a new file and transfer or paste the data from the old file into the new file to fix it.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au