Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project Custom Grouping

6 replies [Last post]
Alastair Morrison
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone tell me how to create custom groups , I want to create a P3 look and group activities by phase, system, discipline etc and identify by colour as P3 does. I have seen this done but cannot remember how to execute this myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do know it has something to do with setting up custom text fields?

Rgds

Alastair

Replies

Susanna Kate
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 34 sec ago. Offline

Thank you all for sharing your views - Quite helpful stuff from Jame especially!

August O
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
In MS Project, I have grouped tasks using the group by function however, the groups are in ascending order. I need this to be sorted by start date. Is this possible? Thanks
Alastair Morrison
Now that is useful , most annoying before when summary didnt represent the activities that were in view as a result of a filter.

Many Thanks for that

Cheers

Alastair Morrison
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
The custom grouping function is extremely useful and I use it all the time, in a whole variety of ways. However, one of the most useful aspects of the group-by function is that you can apply a filter and the resultant value in the "summary-bar" is based on the filtered data. In the conventional MSP layout, the summary-task value doesn’t change, even if you apply a filter.

James.
Alastair Morrison
Thanks Rajesh

I have also discovered the customise Fields option allowing me to creat group fields to srt and filter on.

Thanks

Alastair
Rajesh Khanna Sake
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Alastair,

it can be done like this ...

give the group names to different resources ..
then ... Goto Project tab/ Group by / Customize Group by
p3 look can be achieved from here

Cheers,

Khanna