Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project Custom Grouping

6 replies [Last post]
Alastair Morrison
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone tell me how to create custom groups , I want to create a P3 look and group activities by phase, system, discipline etc and identify by colour as P3 does. I have seen this done but cannot remember how to execute this myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do know it has something to do with setting up custom text fields?

Rgds

Alastair

Replies

Susanna Kate
User offline. Last seen 4 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you all for sharing your views - Quite helpful stuff from Jame especially!

August O
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
In MS Project, I have grouped tasks using the group by function however, the groups are in ascending order. I need this to be sorted by start date. Is this possible? Thanks
Alastair Morrison
Now that is useful , most annoying before when summary didnt represent the activities that were in view as a result of a filter.

Many Thanks for that

Cheers

Alastair Morrison
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
The custom grouping function is extremely useful and I use it all the time, in a whole variety of ways. However, one of the most useful aspects of the group-by function is that you can apply a filter and the resultant value in the "summary-bar" is based on the filtered data. In the conventional MSP layout, the summary-task value doesn’t change, even if you apply a filter.

James.
Alastair Morrison
Thanks Rajesh

I have also discovered the customise Fields option allowing me to creat group fields to srt and filter on.

Thanks

Alastair
Rajesh Khanna Sake
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
Dear Alastair,

it can be done like this ...

give the group names to different resources ..
then ... Goto Project tab/ Group by / Customize Group by
p3 look can be achieved from here

Cheers,

Khanna