Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to filter the activities in MSP

9 replies [Last post]
Venkatasubramania...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I want to filter the activites which are in progress and to start the particular week (say current week). I dont know how to filter the activities with above criteria.
I know in P3.
Can the forum members help me please.
Thanks

Replies

Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Create your own filter in MSP is quite simple,
You can even add you own filter to the Menu.
You can use And/Or ,equals, contains,... also wildcard */?
You can use conditional filter, when running it will popup a window for you to enter test value. for example you want to filter activity with in a range,you can build a filter that will ask you start date/end date, when you run it.

before i really understand filter in MSP and P3, I will not say P3’s filter is better than MSP
Ioannis Leontiou
User offline. Last seen 5 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I wouldnt say that using / customizing existing or creating filters is an issue in MSP. Its very easy and worth explore them. Don’t forget Autofilter option as well
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Whilst I agree that as a planning package P3 and Suretrak (I have copies of both) are better than MSp, sometimes we do not have the choice of which package we use. The thread was how to filter in MSp, and not which package is better, or easier to use. This thread has lapsed into a familiar MSP vs P3/Suretrak debate. It would be more useful to Venkatasubramanian if we could develop the original subject matter further.

:-) Andrew
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Alexandre:

Don´t worry, I’d never do that.

Back to filters, of course suretrak and P3 come with predesigned filters. Lots of them, but my point is that it souds much easier to create your own filters in P3 than MSP. And the real power of filters is in the fact that you can custom them to your needs.
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Alexandre,

Primavera enterprise knows current date, week and month; and also allows using simple operators such as "+2w".

Ernesto,

If you like SureTrak, don’t go to MS Project. You’ll perceive it as a serious step back.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Doesn’t sound very user frendly, does it?

The more I read about MSP, the more I like my Suretrak. Filters and layouts are my everyday working tools and I wouldn’t be able to cope with such cumbersome procedures.
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys

Why dont you try looking under Project : Filtered for

this lists loads of set filters, one for a date range and another for in progress activities. You could then add your own filter to do both at the same time

Cheers

Andrew