Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress Problem - MS Project

7 replies [Last post]
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
The % complete figure that is calculated for the project when using ms project does not correlate to the % i get when i divide the man hours used by the total man hours for the project. (For eg MSProject calculated total % complete = 20% whereas Used Man Hours / Total Man Hours = 17%)

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Replies

Trevor,
you are right. I never understand how the single percent complete can show the real activity status.
Vladimir
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
"% Complete" is the ratio of actual Duration to Planned/Estimated/Budget/Baseline Duration, up to a limit of 100%.

"% Work Complete" is the ratio of actual Work (ie Man-Hours) to Planned/Estimated/Budget/Baseline Work, up to a limit of 100%

Also, there could be "% Cost Complete" the ratio of actual Cost to Planned/Estimated/Budget/Baseline Cost, up to a limit of 100%.

Then we come to something called "% progress".
This is often equated to "% Work Complete" when I think what is meant is not the Hours ratio above, but "how much of the Task is done", ie "% of the Task Complete" measured in terms of say 300 bricks actually laid by the Status Date, of 1000 bricks planned to be laid by the Status Date.
Of course, this measurement is different for every Task and some Tasks do not readily lend themselves to this kind of measurement, both serious obstacles.

If, in this example, all goes as planned, and if bricks, Cost, Hours and Duration are all estimated to be related linearly, then:
"% progress" = 30% of the bricks.
30% of the Duration (say planned Duration = 10 days).
30% of the Work (Hours).
30% of the Cost, which includes Labour, Material and Fixed Costs.

..but let’s say Status Date = 30% of Planned Duration
and bricks = 30% of bricks, OK.
but those 300 bricks might have been (actuallY) achieved with more or less than 30% of the planned Hours and/or Cost. The estimates may have been based on these numbers all related proportionally (linearly) but the actuals are actuals and are all independent numbers.

Assume some numbers to illustrate:
Status Date = end of Day 3, of 10 Days plannned.
Actual Work = 20% of Planned Hours, up to the Status Date.
Actual Cost = 15% of Planned Cost, up to the Status Date.

In the common "Earned Hours" calculation:
Earned Hours = "% progress" (ie, 30/100) x total planned hours.
Up to now we don’t have "total planned hours" but in this example could be 8 Hours/Day x 10 Days = 80 Hours.
So, Earned Hours = 30/100 x 80 = 24 Hours up to the Status Date.
Typically, in an S Curve plotted on Hours and EV based on Hours, this compares favourably with the planned Hours (they are equal), and there is celebration that progress is on schedule. But the reason I don’t like it is because it doesn’t tell me much and what it purports to tell me about "progress" it actually does not. The real cause for celebration should be:
Actual Work = 20%
Actual Cost = 15%

The "Earned Hours" would be the same, would be just as celebrated, and be just as pointless and uninformative if:
Actual Work = 40%
Actual Cost = 50%

ie much more/worse than estimated from the contractor’s point of view.

Happy to be contradicted
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Tony,

There are two types of default % progress in MSP. The one you mentioned %Complete is based on duration. What you calculated is % work progress. Check the % work progress and it will match exactly with your calculation.

Manu.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
MSP will not include split time in AD / RD
check "Updating task status updates resource status", otherwise %complete may not match % work complete
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
I am referring to the overall progress.

The project is resourced with one resource and the same unit rate is used.

I think it might have something to do with the % complete column and the % work complete

What is the difference betwen these two columns???