Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Macros in MS Project

10 replies [Last post]
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I know what macros are.

But could you please tell me some of the practical applications of macros in MS Project.

Are they really used by planners in MS project.

Where ever MS project is lagging behind Primavera, can we use macros programmed in VB to improve it?

Manu.

Replies

Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
hello Manulal

of course you can also use these MSP-macros from an Excel-Task. I.e. that you can transfer data very easily and use the graphical possibilities of excel to show the information of MSP. Or even better - you can connect to AutoCAD or P3 using these macros.
manulal inasu
Hi Zhang,

Thank you. I have already started learning more about macros in MSP.

Manu.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
They are almost the same. The difference is the objects(events,method...). You can learn these from the HELP file,also recording & studying.

It’s better to go through all the objects in MSP.
manulal inasu
Hi,

Will the VB macros we use in excel work in MSP as well.
I learnt most of the macros coding in excel by recording a macro and then analysing the code. But this method does not seem to be easy in MSP.

Manu.
Hannes de Bruyne
Hello Zhang

thanks for the answer, it is realy a nice idea. I would even be more happy if you could copy some of the macro-text in your answer. As I said I work a lot with macros too and I noticed in the past, that people work in very diffent ways with macros. Those different approaches are the things that interrest me, because from that I can learn a lot more than from the examples of Microsoft

Regards Hannes
Zhang Haixiang
just use taskdependency object to check each pred of current selected task, and use the link type & lag to calculate the start date of the current selected task, if the date equals to the start date of the current selected task, then consider it as driving pred.

Hannes de Bruyne
Hi Zhang,

this sounds very interesting. Is it possible to put this macro in this forum (just as text). I like writing makros as well and its always good to learn from ideas of other persons.

Thanks
Hannes
Zhang Haixiang
Yes, you can use macro to imporve MSP.
I’ve write a macro to make a predecessor form the same as P3, using * to indicate driving preds.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I believe it is best use in excel...
Unfortunately you will not use macros for resource leveling.