Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can I get MSP layouts look like Primavera P3?

26 replies [Last post]
Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Can anyone tell me if I can get background colours on summary tasks? We have to make the layout look more like Primavera P3.
Thank You for any ideas.

Replies

Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Sukumaran,
Zhang is right, You can format your summary bar by modifying bar style.
As all other friends are expressing their views about this creativity work is fine. We are not comparing here MSP with P3, we just want to find a solution to help some one who want to do some thing with MSP. Niek is correct, it is really difficult to manage so many custom fields in complex project.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
HI Guys and Girls,
This is my Opinion,
Generally This is very creative / knowlegable for users to do presentation but for monitoring and scheduling it may be risky / tedious... just a guess.

1. It could make your PC slow with this graphic.
2. Your file will hang if the file using very Big byte.
3. It takes time to update or doing changes and will make u busy on doing this layout.

just for discussion....

Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I don’t want to be the one to spoil this party because the creativity is well appreciated; however I would like to add some remarks.

1) the same do’s and don’ts as mentioned earlier still apply

2) There is no integrity check on the overall code mask, because you now revert to individual fields that have a singular value list at best. This implies that you can create code combinations that do not exist. For instance, if you group by country and then by city you can end up with Tokyo in the USA and London in Tanzania.

3) Data entry is going to be very tedious because you need to enter/maintain all individual fields separately and maintain the integrity.

4) If you want to edit or change activities you’ll need to revert to the regular summary task view, losing sight of what you were doing. In large schedules this is not a workable situation.

So without degrading this creativity in any way, be careful what you are doing, it is not P3 (or any other Primavera software).
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everyone,

Maria, my sincere apology for jumping into conclusion.

Suku, that’s GREAT.

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

This only show how to come up with solution in an evironment of open mind and ingenuity.

Once again, my sincere apology to all.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sukumaran Subaramaniyan,

From format menu, open bar styles, then delete "*group by summary"
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maria,

I would like to clarify on your statement

"But I can not see an easy way to save this "layout" or view. If I change in one view it follows in to the other view. This causes extra work when it is needed to show different views to different people.
Does anyone know how to work effectively with views while using groups and filters in different ways? "

Have you change the groups and filters everytime you save a view? Try changing it everytime you want to have a new layout as called in P3, in MSP it’s called views.

Cheers,
Se
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Guys,

Attached is the image for your review:

As you can see the summary bars appear on each band. In P3 we can hide or show the summary bars for each band. Any facilities in MSP.

Raj,
I didn’t click the "show summary tasks". It appear automatically when I do grouping.

Regards.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Guys,
Its Very Intresting to follow up your Post, Its very creative, Congragulation!!!
Maybe I can Say MSP = Making Software Primavera.
Sorry Guys..But its really Intresting and Creative.
Cheers
Sukumaran Subaram...
Zhang,

Yes, using custom fields the activities can be grouped and arranged on hierarchical basis. But when I create a few levels then extra summary bars appear on each level. Any idea how to remove the unwanted summary bar on each level.

I don’t have this problem when use outline number. It all in order.

Regards.
Zhang Haixiang
you can creat different view/(table/filter/group) for different people,almost same as you do in P3
Zhang Haixiang
Hi,

custom fields are non-hierarchical,but you can make it hierarchical.
e.g. text1.text2.number1 or, text2.text1.number1

It’s more flexible than outline
Niek Zonneveld
Philip,

I hope you are referring to Steve B and Bill G here...
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maria,

This bunch of encules, they have given you a run for your money - they are male chauvinists, ignore them and send me the problem, I will try to help out.
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Sukumaran,
When you create group don’t click on "show summary tasks" then you define your view using that group. That view will not show summary tasks. If you don’t want to show only few of them, then use filter for selected summary tasks. I hope this will work.
Niek Zonneveld
That’s because a view is associated with a table, and the same table can be used in different views.

What you need is a proper manual. (I can recommend Using MS Project 2003 from Tim Pyron, QUE series)
Maria Ahlberg
If I create a group and uses group by for ex. outline level 1, and then group by outline level 2, I get some sort of unflexible summarization in the way I choose. This could be hierarchial. I can not say it works smoothly, but it works.

But I can not see an easy way to save this "layout" or view. If I change in one view it follows in to the other view. This causes extra work when it is needed to show different views to different people.
Does anyone know how to work effectively with views while using groups and filters in different ways?
Niek Zonneveld
Text fields are more flexible and do not require you to define a mask.

If you want to use a text field for grouping activities I would nonetheless recommend you to create a mask. (called value list in custom fields) This to avoid typo’s, etc.

They do however not support hierarchical structures so you can’t roll up (i.e. summarise) your categories when you use custom fields.
Maria Ahlberg
Are there any advantages using text fields instead of outline codes? From what I can see it looks the same, but does it work the same way?

Niek Zonneveld
Custom fields are non-hierarchical (so not really like P3) and the same do’s and don’ts apply.
Zhang Haixiang
you can use any field for grouping , e.g. text1,number1,date1... just like you use activity code in P3
Niek Zonneveld
Maria,

Please be aware that there are quite some do’s and don’ts around outline codes in MSP.

For instance, don’t change the code mask unless you want to purge your existing outline codes in that group.

You can’t insert activities in outline mode and dragging doesn’t work either.

Be aware that outline codes also work on summary tasks so they can conflict with the tasks underneath. You need to guard that integrity.

In other words: it looks like P3 but it does not match P3.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Maria Ahlberg
Thank you, outline structure works fine!

Sukumaran Subaram...
Maria,

Try Outline Structure.

Regards.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Maria

Suggest you hire a Primavera Planner and invest in P3, why in the world would someone want it to look like p3 layout and not be p3, unless they are trying to fool the client into thinking you are using p3. That would be BADDDDDD.

cheers bill
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

It not possible. Maybe the software company don’t want their product to look like P3.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...

??#@$@