Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project S-Curves.

17 replies [Last post]
Ian Thomson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

I am trying to get MS Project to produce an S-Curve for me. Can it do it? I do not want to extract information from MS Project and do my graphs in Excel.

Replies

Chris Rymer
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Have a look at Project Tracker, you can generate your S Curves directly from Microsoft Project. Go to https://www.willmer.co.uk/project-tracker for more information and to get a free trial.
Nitin Gandhi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Can some one help step by step on how to generate S Curve from MSP Project

I was doing same on Primavera by Dummy resource and mappping the budgeted units

Antony Henderson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

This is great, i,ve worked with MS project for years but never used this reporting method.

Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

When I go to to Tools,customize,toolbars and click analysis what I get is Adjust dates ,Copy picture to Office Wizard and Pert analysis. I donot get the analyze timescaled in excel. Can anyone guide me here.

Venkata Rathinam
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Thanks John...
John Garay
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
DecisionEdge (my company) has a new software tool that can create S-Curves right from within Microsoft Project (no need to export to Excel).

It is called DecisionCharts for Microsoft Project and you can download a 30-day evaluation to see for yourself: DecisionCharts for Microsoft Project

DecisionCharts comes with 60+ new bundled charts built specifically for Microsoft Project. If you don’t see the exact chart you want, just let me know and we can create it (we can pull data directly from MSP and show it in a chart - and we also can do complex custom calculations to create new curves).

Botton Line: There’s no reason you should be using Excel to create the charts you need out of Microsoft Project.

Regards,
John Garay
DecisionEdge, Inc.
jgaray@decisionedge.com
http://www.decisionedge.com
Gaurav Mahna
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Scott

I think the most improtant thing which you need to have from MS Project is that you should have schedule and actual progress trend, which u are suppose to get from putting values of actual project progress against the baseline scheduled duration in "Tracking Gantt" option in MS-Project.

Basically, Schedule v/s actual > Time, cost, duration, %age progress & %age Resource Utilization.

As S Curve is based on weighted base calculation, the most important thing is resource and unit manhours required to liquidate the particular scope quantity and get the earned manhours for the progress trend.

All the best

scott aitken
User offline. Last seen 18 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
merci beaucoup!
scott aitken
User offline. Last seen 18 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Looking to create an s-curve in excell, what info do I nned to extract from MS Project?
IC Quiamco
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Go to Tools,customize,toolbars and click analysis new set of toolbars appear.

Click analyze timescaled data in excel, choose entire project or current selected task, select the field to be exported (e.g.cummulative cost for cost cummulative work for manpower, etc.),next set date range, units (days, weeks, months etc.), next, export data.

There you have you have your S-curve, just edit it to suit to your desire format.

you can also combine it with other fields to create different report e.g. histograms, planned vs. actual s-curve, etc.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
MSP can produce S-curve. First you prepare Histogram and then go to Farmat and then click bar style ther you will find out show as "bar" that you can change in line and you will get line curve. That you can print.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Producing S-Curves for turnarounds that have targets based upon the schedule are problematic. This is because the scope for turnarounds is not completely known at the start of the project. The scope is variable and will change over the course of time as inspections are performed.

We have measured S-Curves against baseline schedules, "moving" schedules and a historical target curve based on timeframe. Invariably the historical target curve yields the most meaningful results for turnarounds.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System
Heinrich van Zweel
User offline. Last seen 17 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
I desperately need help. I worked with a guy who had the most fantastic XL spread sheet with macros which he used to make very nice s curves with data copied from MSP 2000.
He used early and late starts to create an envelope, the actual curve is then plotted and is supposed to stay within the early and late dates. Then he also had a forcast as well.

Has anyone got an Excel template which they are prepared to share with me?

Heinrich
Pradeep Kumar Mah...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 1 week ago. Offline

Yes, I agree with Paul.

That is the normal industry standard. However there are many advanced ways of producing the Progress curves with a doc. called as Turn around Doc in excel form in present days. Which forms a better tool to prepare the Shortfall analysis of a project.
Bye!
PK
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 7 weeks ago. Offline
Microsoft Project Standard will not produce S Curves but will produce Histograms and tables.

There are some add on products available that will produce S Curves.

I do as most people, I export to Excel.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au