Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

beginner: difficulties with timeline

4 replies [Last post]
Andreas Boehmer
User offline. Last seen 20 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have entered all my tasks into Project 2000, entered my resources and
allocated them to the tasks. I also set a few predecessors for those tasks
that rely on others to be completed first. What I expected was that Project
would start a new task "as soon as possible" without overallocating
resources. But instead of doing that, all my resources are hopelessly
overallocated. I didn’t change the start-times or end-times, all I changed
was the duration of each task.

Any idea where I’m going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
agree
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
One needs to consider the following factors when deciding which method to use to level a schedule.

1. The number of activities and relationships
2. The number of resources requiring leveling
3. The capability of the software
4. The skill level of the person using the software
5. Is the schedule to be statused or is the schedule a one off.

If I have a small schedule, say 20 activities, with one resource to level, and I am completing a what if analysis in MSP, I may use method 1, and drag an activity to level the histogram if I did not want to waste my time.

If I have a medium sized building project where I had a single crew completing some work and I wanted to show the crew the order I wanted them to complete the work in I would use method 2 and add some sequencing logic to order the tasks and level the resources. In this type of project it is acceptable to use this method and it creates a critical path that is resource driven. I would also add notes in the notes section stating the logic is sequencing logic.

If I have a large commissioning schedule with say 5,00 activities and 10 resources that have to be leveled I would use method 3.

There are a number of issues with leveling. Firstly a person needs to be very familiar with the software and understand all the issues that prevent a schedule from leveling. And secondly it is a requirement of a number of contracts to show a critical path and therefore method 2 has to be used level a schedule to show a critical path created by that resource.

I would agree that method 1 is not the best but both method 2 and 3 do both have their applications.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Paul, both method 1 and 2 are nor preferable. These 2 will let the network more complicated. Method 3, resource levelling is the right direction.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Andreas
Microsoft Project, like most project planning and scheduling software packages, by default does not resource level which is the term used to prevent over allocation of resources. I would think the software is running as it is designed.

There are three basic methods principals of preventing resource allocation.

1. Applying constraints to activities so that tasks do not start until resources become available. This is usually not recommended as a delay in another task may result in an over allocation of resources.

2. Adding additional relationships, often called "Sequencing Logic" to prevent over allocation of resources.

3. Using the Resource Leveling feature of Microsoft Project.

I live in Melbourne, feel free to call me on 04 1118 7701 should you wish to discuss this with me a little further.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au