Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Beginner Resource Leveling Issue

2 replies [Last post]
Joshua Topham
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, I'm fairly new to MS Project and have been doing some practice pieces before I look at using it for anything at work. To this end I've created a schedule for a large dinner I'm making over the course of a week - over 100 components so it is also useful to have a detailed prep plan - but really this is just to get my head around the system. I have looked up several guides and googled answers, but am now well and truly stuck.

File Setup and Context:

I myself am the main resource for the project, and have set available hours for myself from 15:00-23:00 Monday through Saturday, aiming to serve up at a deadline of 19:00 Saturday. Some tasks can go on by themselves, ie oven running for a few hours unaided, but most are set to utilize me at 100%. All the tasks are set to go as soon as possible, automatically scheduled, and run on the 24 hours calendar (I want my availability to be limiting factor. If the oven runs overnight so be it.)

Initially all my tasks were grouped at 8:00 Monday morning with a few pushed slightly later by dependencies on previous ones. I was over-allocated for most of Monday and then had nothing for the rest of the week. Then I tried to level resource...

Issue:

I unchecked the option to split tasks (don't want to stop halfway through frying something and come back later for instance) and selected level all, expecting this would push all the over-allocated activities back across the week, conforming to my hours of availability, and resolving most if not all the over allocations.

Instead the leveling seems to have gone only across the Monday, leaving tasks utilizing me even before my 15:00 start of availability. There are still many over-allocations (naturally, since I have 13 hours of work on a day with only 8 hours of my resource available) and moreover the instruction not to split tasks has been ignored with seemingly arbitrary splits put into tasks. The whole project is squeezed into 8:00-17:00 on Monday which makes me wonder if something is constrained to this window, however each resource, the project itself and all the tasks are set to 24 hours with only me having a limit (15:00-23:00.)

I'm sure I must be missing something really obvious. Any troubleshooting hugely appreciated. 

Replies

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Joshua,

Welcome to Planning Planet!  You've obviously done your homework, and there's nothing that jumps out as the source of your issues.  It would certainly help if you would:

• Identify the MSP version you are using
  • show some screenshots (though you'll need to host the images somewhere else, unless the PP image hosting problem has been fixed).  Screenshots should show your options, setup, logic, task priorities, leveling options, etc. 
  • identify your leveling options exactly
  • Maybe narrow down your problem to two or three tasks that aren't behaving as you would like, then illustrate them exactly.

The leveler in MSP is pretty sophisticated (i.e. not typically for novices); there are lots of places you could go astray.  Also, depending on the MSP version, some of the leveling options seem to behave like preferences rather than hard and fast rules....

Good luck, tom