Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planner’s black-book

23 replies [Last post]
Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Everyone...

I’ve read various books on planning and project-management but I haven’t found "THE ONE BOOK" that sorts out all my problems.

I’m in the process of creating a planner’s black-book, this book will have the following;

1. A General Overview
2. Program Set-up
3. Standards and conventions
4. Quantitive measurement & Cost Analysis
5. Etc...

Obviously I don’t know everything & I would appreciate your input. I’m in the process of getting a link to a site whereby you can download it.

I’m hoping to make it free and specifically for planners (using MS Projects & Primavera) by planners (not by a bunch of computer programmers that couldn’t plan their way out of a plastic bag).

Please let me know if you’re interested & leave me with an email address that I can contact you on

Regards,

Michael Bonandrini
Planning Engineer

Replies

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie,

I think maybe grimoire is the word you’re looking for.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
HI Tom,

Santana did play the guitar. I’m a fan of him way back long ago. You know the Hyppie days, anti war (Vietnam war),

Played the song "Black Magic Woman". so cool

Then later after 20 years make a revival with the same song "Black Magic Woman"

Lately been here in Dubai, performed to a sell out crowd. Old man never dies or could be like the sound

"my my hey hey, rock and roll is here to stay ...."

Juan is correct. I did refer to SATANAS not Santana.

SATANAS is a devil, the king of hell.

So I think we will change it, planner’s black book to some sort of ... i dont know how to say it in english.

Juan Dela Cruz
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Ha ha ha ha...
You made my days guys! I just can’t keep off laughing. This is very funny.

Yeah, I’ve just thought the book may have been turned into some other colors such as red or perhaps green...
----------------------------
Tom,
"Satanas", in Tagalog dialect, as referred by Charles is the king of the Hell. The equivalent of St Peter in the gates of Heaven.

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Magigal power from SANTANA ! Doesn’t he play the guitar ?

In any case, in the interests of race relations and multi-culturism, can we please now refer to said book as "The Planners R0,G0,B0 Book"
Charleston-Joseph...
Juan,

The planner’s black book existed before but "black is black"

Maybe pass by a black hole.

Besides if someone offers something, and if the person is sincere then you will get it, otherwise expect the worse, just pretend the book is non existing.

Also the thread is wierd "PLANNER’S BLACK BOOK". It connotes some sort of mystic or magical power from SATANAS or maybe some sort of ancient text that makes you the best ever planner in PP.

If I were you forget about it.
Tom Howard
Juan, You should know by now that NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS on this forum. People just procrastinate and muse about making the Planning world a better place... (children are our future etc etc...)
Juan Dela Cruz
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
So, where’s the black book? What happened?
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear PP Admin,

could you please put a more decent and dignified picture of yours? i just don’t want to see your two front teeth...
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Team,

We have rolled out a search function for the forum. We are sorry it took so long to organise and we hope it works ok.

Comments are welcomed to help us improve it from its simple beginnings.

PP Admin
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Ok so ther was supposed to be a hyperlink in that last post of mine.

Lets give that another crack.

Go here - Searching Through The Planning Planet Site? [next time - use double quotes in the href]

If it doesnt work find the forum thread called, - Searching Through The Planning Planet Site?
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I think that as soon as you log onto PP your looking at the ’Black Book’. PP admin have been trying to set up a search engine for the forum area to enable faster searching and topic searching.
It appears it was due for testing 5 months or so ago, go to forum and lets see if we can’t help out in getting this valuable upgrade happening.

Andy
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
No doubt, Planner black book is brilliant idea needs to be implemented in this forum asap so that we take advantage of these information issued by various sources/authorities at one place
Tom Howard
sounds like a great idea, but the problem is (as demonstrated on this website) is that there are just SOOO many different types of planner out there. Just looking at my particular niche market (UK construction & fitout for schemes up to £20M), you will rarely find 2 planning positions in 2 different companies that are the same. People expect different things from planners that could extend to materials and resource management, costings, projected information, progress, information / document control, supply chain input as well as the standard "programme & progress" role.

I think this is the reason there is so little information out there on what is undoubtedly an important role. It even probably explains why there is such a shortage of (good) planners in the UK market today. It is nigh-on impossible to teach, and can only be learnt by some serious pro-active input from the person involved.

good luck with the book, but I doubt it will be an easy task
Michael,
I undertood.
Unfortunately I will not be able to help because I use other software.
Good luck,
Vladimir
Michael Bonandrini
Vladimir

I agree although I’m trying to make the book as expansive as possible and therefore not restricting it in any way. I would like to emphasise that I’m not making a software user manual, instead I’m making a reference book based upon experience, techniques, standards & shortcuts (therefore making a planner’s life a bit easier)
Michael,
if you restrict project planning to the capabilities of some programs then you create User Manuals though maybe more broad and practical.
Regards,
Vladimir
Michael Bonandrini
Vladimir

If I wanted to create a "user manual" I would just copy extracts out of the software manuals.

I intend giving anyone out there the "A - Z" on just about everything about planning, with references therefore allowing you to understand the broader scope of your job-description whilst making it a lot easier with the short-cuts that I (and many of the people who assist me) have learnt over time.

Regards
Michael Bonandrini
Michael Bonandrini
One of the things that I have done is Map out the basic layout of the book... I’m going to obviously need some help from the planners out there with the writing of the chapters. (Think about how good it will be to have your name in this book and your Curriculum vitae)

Anyone keen to assist???

Regards

Michael Bonandrini

P.S. The book will be broken down into MS Projects and P3 (amongst other things). So it caters for both users.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello to all,

This is a great idea.

What Mike trying to say is something that comes from PP in general and planning ENGINEER in particular.

I like it.

Cheers,

charlie
So you plan to create a manual specifically for those planners that use MS Projects & Primavera?
Then I suggest to create the separate versions for each PM software and call them User Manuals.
Ritesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all
It’s really great to hear about Planner black book. This is starting to see the planning in a new horizon
Human Knowledge belongs to the world.

Regards
Ritesh Kr
Riteskr@gmail.com

Michael Bonandrini
That’s what I’m hoping to do... That’s why it’s in this forum.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
Sounds good - but could you perhaps set it up as part of the planning Plannet webbsite.

Regards

John