Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contemporaneous and Forensic Time Impact Analysis

4 replies [Last post]
shahin dsh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

hello experts

I'm confused about differences between "Contemporaneous Time Impact Analysis" and "Forensic Time Impact Analysis". can anyone explain me what are the differences between these two topic?

Replies

Pei Tang
User offline. Last seen 4 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Shahin,

I will try to explain from what I understand. 

When you performing a delay analysis for events, there are two situations:

1) the delay events are happening or going to happen , and your objective is to ESTIMATE the impacts from the delays so that the contractor and owner can make new agreement. This analysis is often performed while the project is in progress. AACE defines it as propsetive time impact analysis  and you can find a guide from their website. 

2) the delay events have happend already, and your objective is to Quantify the delays and Identify the Responsiblity by using actual data. Most of time  this analysis is defined as "Forensic Time Impact Analysis" or "Retrospective Delay Analysis" because the impacts have already happened. This anlaysis is usually performed after the events happend or after the project is completed.

There are lots of methods for "Forensic Time Impact Analysis", and "Contemporaneous Time Impact Analysis" is just one of them which uses contemporaneous schedules (approved baseline, approved updates, and if really needed adjusted baseline and updates as well). 

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Pei

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Shahin

There is essentially no difference except that your access to As Built data is limited when work is in progress.

Best regards

Mike T.

shahin dsh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Mike 

thanks for your reply. but is that the only difference? i mean does calculating the claimable time differes in these two methods?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Shahin Contemporaneous time impact analysis is when work is still in progress. Forensic Time Impact Analysis is when work is complete.