Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Impact Analysis in Complex and Mega-Scale Project Programmes

3 replies [Last post]
ANIL IPEKCI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

In a detailed contractual programme where we have around 40,000 No. of activities with proper weekly updates and around 600 Engineer's Instructions / Site Instructions; 

If the programme logic is not altered after a point and it is not reflecting the actual site conditions due to changes/instructions not being reflected into the programme, what is the best way to put an EOT Claim while we reach to the end of the project?

Looking at the delay event register, maybe 250 No. of these changes, delays from the employer are critical. There is also serious amount of mitigations measures taken by the Contractor in various areas of the job (and not measured properly) and obviously there are a lot of out of sequence work compared to the Contract Programme logic. 

Considering all of these, I cannot settle in my head about how to do the proper analysis. 

1. Looking at the period of changes and delays; I should be having at least 10 to 12 windows (presumably monthly),

2. Each window will be having serious amount of delay events with their fragnets, 

3. Eventhough the programme is having a great detail; some parts of the programme are not having sufficient detail to reflect the actual conditions and the impact of the changes due to complexity of the horizontal project. This will require huge amount of logic changes in each windows' original updated programme to reflect the facts and will require linking the fragnet activities with a proper logic. 

So, this is a huge task and with having all the information it would require at least 2-3 months in my opinion. 

Is there any simpler way to do this analysis? For instance, can we make a final as-built programme with all the changes and final sequence and logic to compare with the baseline? If we do that, how we will be able to identify the concurency? 

I am confused :)

Thanks already to those who will reply. 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Anil

If the contract is prescriptive as to the method to be used to the extent that a reasonable EoT claim cannot be submitted then it is highly likely that time will be set at large on the project.

If it goes to a tribunal for judgement the first plea will be for the unreasonable demnds to be set aside.

Best regards

Mike Testro

ANIL IPEKCI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your comments. However, the problem is; we have certain ways to judge and select the right method for the delay analysis right? So, the contract clause is one of the important dictations. What if the contract clearly stipulates Time Impact Analysis. How to mediate and meet the complexity and the contract provisions in optimum.

Thanks and Regards,

Anil IPEKCI

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Anil - Welcome to planning planet.

Based on your description your programme will require so many adjustments that they will be challenged as being rigged to suit your case.

The situation is too complex for this approach - especially as you are contemplating a Windows analysis which will exacerbate the complexity by a factor of the number of months.

My advice is to abandon any form of theoretical critical impact and return to the originial programme for a passive observation method using Projected as Built Analysis.

You can find a short guide on how this works on my website- www.expertdelayanalystis.com

Best regards

Mike Testro