Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Books on Delay Analysis

4 replies [Last post]
C S
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi There,

I am just wondering if there are any books that people would recommend that provide a mid level discussion and explanaton of delay analysis and the techniques involved. It would be very useful if any of these books also contained a relatively detailed explanation of the steps to be followed for each delay analysis method.

Thanks in advance

Replies

Mark Nagata
User offline. Last seen 8 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
There are a couple of industry publications that address forensic schedule analysis. The Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering International has its Recommended Practice on Forensic Schedule Analysis 29R-03. The Society of Constuction Law has its Delay and Disruption Protocol. I wrote and presented a paper at the AACEi Conference in Dubai in 2012 that compares the methods discussed in these two publications. I would be happy to send it to you. There is also a book titled Construction Delays by Theodore Trauner that is available on Amazon that provides a good mid-level description and discussion of analyzing construction delays.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi C S

That is exactly what my ebook does - in both words and pictures.

Best regards

Mike Testro

C S
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have a degree of familiarity with the various delay analysis methods and am aware of the differences between them and the different results they produce. Where I find myself having difficulty is when I am dealing with planners/schedulers on site who although they are competent planners have never undertaken a delay analysis and don't know how to present the information and results.

Because I don't have the level of familarity with Primavera I am not able to give them the hands on instructions they need. An example of a recent question I was asked was about how to present an as planned impacted delay analysis. The planner was asking should he show the delay as a separate activity or extend the delayed activity. He was also asking about how to physically show the delay on the as planned programme. Luckily a senior planner was able to help him out on this occasion as we were on a tight timescale.

I know these are all questions that can be easily answered with a bit of research and time but i was just wondering if there were any books that would act like a procedures manual so I dont have to go through the trial and error process of finding the best solution to their queries.

I suppose ultimately what I am looking for is something that will bridge the gap between knowing how to carry out a delay analysis in theory and physically being able to do it in Primavera.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi CS

My ebook Principles of Delay Analysis gives working example of the 4 main delay analysis methods showing the different results obtained on the same events on the same project.

It can be downoaded from my website www.expertdelayanalysis.com for £75.00.

Best regards

ike Testro