Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Difference btwn Time Impact Analysis & Delay Analysis

10 replies [Last post]
Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi Analysts

Would any one tell me the difference between Time Impact Analysis and Delay Analysis

Cheers

Tanveer

Replies

Christopher Hall
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Andrew, 

I don't think we need to split hairs as to whether IAP & TIA are 'different' or 'very different'.

I think we can both agree the two techniques differ as you've outlined and are not one and the same as implied in your earlier post.

Best Regards,

Chris Hall

Andrew McKennna
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Chris,

Impact-as-planned and Time impact are not very different.

Delay Analysis in Construction Contracts
By P. John Keane, Anthony F. Caletka

"The main difference between the TIA & IAP methods is the use of 'multiple base' programmes in the TIA, as opposed to a 'single base' (i.e. the baseline) in the IAP.

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear Mr. Tastro

I am sorry for revealing the dead topic; I posted the thread coz I really didn’t find my answer. I was confused as I saw a clip on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRhbzfY2aRw  which says that the Time Impact Analysis is a forecast impact of an expected  event. I think I got my answer that it’s the difference btwn the US and the UK terminologies, if I understood you right.

Thanx - Cheers

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Tanveer

The definition of Delay Analysis terms depends on if you are British or American.

Time Impact Analysis and Impacted as Planned are interchangeable between the two jurisdictions.

I tried a while back to get common terms established but our US friends were entrenched.

Now - whenever I use a term in a report I classify it as "SCL Protocol Defined" in a footnote so as to avoid any confusion.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike Testro

Hi Hall

You are right - sorry.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Christopher Hall

Hi Mike,

I may be mistaken but i thought the thread was started today?

If i've stirred up a topic from PP's past, appologies. Still feeling my way around PP.

Chris

Mike Testro

Hi Hall

Perhaps you didn't realise but you have just responded to a 7 year old thread.

It is not a good idea to liven up long dead topics.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Christopher Hall

Andrew,

Don't get Time Impact Analysis (TIA) confused with Impact As-Planned (IAP).

Very difference techinques.

Chris

Andrew McKennna
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Time impact analysis or 'impacted as-planned' analysis is one of several delay analysis techniques. The impacted as planned method consists of listing all the excusable delays (or delays where time extension is owed to the contractor) and adding this extended duration to the relevant activities to determine the revised completion date. The difference between the revised completion date and the as-planned completion date determines the number of days owed to the contractor.

Christopher Hall

Tan,

Time Impact Analysis is a Delay Analysis technique.  Some other techinques include; impacted as planned (IAP), Collapsed As Build & comparative i.e. as planned vs. as built, plus more.

There are good books around on this, I would recommend Delay Analysis in Construction Contracts by P.J.Keane & A.F.Caletka (Wiley-Blackwell Publishers) which is worth a read.  And, if you know where to look it is avaliable free on the web.

Chris