Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rain Delay and Concurrency Issues

1 reply [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 50 min ago. Offline

Dear PP friends,

I would like to hear from the community your point of views about the effect of awarded rain delay days and concurrency.

It is common practice at home for the rain delay be awarded on some rule as to the amount of hours you could work on a day at a given project and no requirement for it to be justified on the CPM Schedule. This I believe mostly in error as they shall be included on the updates as to show concurrency when it happens.

Take for example the following scenario; the Owner delay for a week the critical activities but the Contractor works on other non critical activities, during the week it rains during two days in excess of the average rain allowance and these two days are awarded.

I believe the two days cannot be included again on the claim for EOT due to the critical activities, obvious but at times missed here. This might not be difficult to include on the sequential TIAs but I am having problems on what about a time where the project is extended by cause of the owner beyond the Projected Duration attributable to the Contractor and some rain days were awarded during the period. I believe these rain days cannot be claimed twice but for the Delay Claim on Prolongation costs there is no concurrency and extended overhead and prolongation costs during these rain days do apply.

Your comment and ideas on how to present this issue on a claim will be welcomed. I am whiling to recognize concurrency during rain delays that would have occurred in the absence of Owner delays but want to claim there is no concurrency after the contract period under Contractor responsibility.

Thanks in advance,

Rafael Davila

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Raphael

Rain days should be logged on the work calendar used for external works. This will generate extra time on all affected activities.

Other delays should be impacted as usual.

One possible scenario is that a delay event may push tasks into a bad weather zone.

Another point is that inclement weather is usually classed as neutral causation and will releive LAD's but not attract costs.

The concurrency factor can become quite complex in such situations.

Best regards

Mike Testro