Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Who is responsible for the delay

7 replies [Last post]
Kumar I
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
We as contractor are delayed for 90 days on the critical path of the schedule,at this point the client instructs a minor change but on the critical path.Now who has delayed the project ,ourself as contractor or the client.

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Kumar,

Assuming the delays did not happen within the same time period, ie aren’t acting at the same time, then:

Contractor is responsible for his part of the delay, the Employer his part.

Any EoT you are entitled too would relate only to the Employer delay and get added to the completion date as it now stands.

ie, new completion date = old completion date + EoT for Employer delay only (if you are entitled to one)
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
In your case it seems that you as Contractor is responsible for these delays not the Client.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Kumar,

Ask the Your question depend on the reponsibilties project organisation.

B/R
Mehdi
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kumar,

The contractor is responsible for the delays based on the simple information you given.

But since you are on the contractor side, it is for the best interest of the company to find ways to put the blame on the owner due to this minor changes that impacted on the critical path.

Always take note that the burden of proof is for the contractor to do.

How to do it, you need expert advice.

Charlie
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Kumar,

If the client delay is minor then Oscar is correct
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
I do agree with Oscar. Bulk of the delay (90 days)is definitely due to the contractor. The minor delay caused by the client is to me quite subjective and can be disputed. The client may argue that the "additional work" that they impose to the contractor is part of the "recovery plan"....??
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Kumar
If I understand you correctly you have delayed the project for 90 days and the client makes a change that adds a further delay.
The delay if I have got this right remains with you ie 90 days the clients change delay remains with him ie 90 + x = total delay you can only claim the duration for the clients delay not the total delay
Oscar