Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

New software for 5D modelling using BIM

7 replies [Last post]
Siarhei Trubila
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all.

My name is Sergey, and I'm a member of team which are developing new product for construction planning, scheduling and cost estimation. I'm glad to share with you our project on https://www.kreo.net/kreo-plan and discuss problems concerning scheduling automatisation using BIM. There are a lot of problems in our sphere such as

1. Quantity taking-off - for example there are a lot of collision detection (like an elements intersections), so quantities area always inadequate
  2. Sequence logic - no automatizasion at all
  3. Increase / decrease gang productivity
  4. Time and cost optimization
  5. etc

I have got plenty of problems concerning construction division optimisation specifically scope of work for different division activities, mb someone can help me with this topic?

Replies

Sergey,

I understand that BIM helps to check if all project constraints are taken into consideration in the project schedule.

But scheduling itself does not depend on the way project data are entered.

Project schedule shall take into account all existing constraints including resource constraints, financial constraints, space limitations and methods used. Creation of feasible schedule is mathematical problem.

Siarhei Trubila

Vladimir,

I think that using BIM for construction project scheduling is not only input data, you can integrate your sequence, cost, duration data into BIM database. As a result, we'll get 5D BIM model, where we can analyze construction visualization and define / correct different types of omittings:

1) sequence clash detections  - it's clear, that 4D model helps for analyzing

2) boundary restrictions and phisical limitations (activities and resources concentration within one place, so we've got inadequate schedule)

3) inadequate work packging for subcontractors - we can aggregate similar construction methods within one geometric space, not only within schedule timetable.

As a result, all stakeholders are happy

Here I have a little example how analyze different activities for certain element (reinforced concrete slab)

slab_reinforcing.gif

Yes Sergey!

As I wrote previosly BIM is useful and helps to get right input data.

Scheduling itself is the same.

Siarhei Trubila

Vladimir, thank you for opinion.

Of cource it's not necessary. But we've got a lot of way for analyzing construction geometry, location, work spaces within BIM. For example, it's very important to understand certain space conditions which can increase or decrease gang productivity. So plenty of different price books (like Spon's, BCIS, RSmeans etc.) store data only about crew members and labour / plant hours but when customer's got a large value of task quantities and some location restrictions what is the optimum of crew amount for develop this task? BIM can help get adequate information about space conflicts and certain conditions, then we can use sophisticated algorithms to define optimum crew size for this task.

Sergey,

it is not necessary to use BIM for project scheduling that takes into account project constraints.

BIM is nice for inputting and presenting project data but it does not change the way of project scheduling and budgeting.

Sergey,

it is not necessary to use BIM for project scheduling that takes into account project constraints.

BIM is nice for inputting and presenting project data but it does not change the way of project scheduling and budgeting.

Siarhei Trubila

Honestly, I'm really sorry because nobody wants to share his experience concerning some really interesting technical aspects of increasing productivity in construction industry using BIM. But there are a lot of different topics about how to use primavera and so on and so forth. 

It doesn't seem so important for our industry today. I've got a lot of examples where customers had inadequate information about project budget and duration because nobody took into consideration physical limitations, overstaffing and unlearning curve. I think we can integrate all this knowledge using BIM.