Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress Comments Column

1 reply [Last post]
Robert Hughes
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good Morning,

I am after a bit of help in Asta PowerProject (if what I am trying to do is even achieveable).

I record progress against a new progress period every two weeks for each project I oversee, and there are inevitably comments against the progress position of each activity i.e. started late due to x reason, due to commence on x date, delays in design infomation etc. I currently record these comments in a 'Notes' column in the spreadsheet.

However everytime I record new progress, if no longer applicable, I have to delete all of these comments and record new ones. I am looking for a way to set up a Comments column which is specific to a progress period so that I may leave the comments in place. So for example: I create a new progress period to 14.02.2014, I record progress as usual and also comments against that progress in the 'Comments' column and save the file. Then on the next mark-up on the 28.02.2014 I select the next progress period and the Comments column will be blank, as the previous comments were recorded specifically to the previous progress period. I can then record new comments against the new progress period and continue in that manner.

I don't overwrite the file each time, I save a sepereate file for each progress mark-up just in case and this mainatains the comments previously recorded against each activity but obviously over a year or two long project these comments can then be spread out over multiple files. Being able to do it in the way described above would allow me to keep all of the comments together in one file and go back and look at them by changing the active progres period. This would make life a lot easier should I need to go back and understand why things were delayed or to review the comments chronologically.

Many thanks for your time.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline

Hi Robert

You can have a new "User Field" comments column for every update - as far as I know there is no limit.

Make sure the title is something like "Prog_Com_14_1_24" so that they drop into line in date order when selecting.

Best regards

Mike Testro