Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using Formula answer in another Formula

2 replies [Last post]
Chris Lothian
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to / if you can refer to an answer of a formula in part of another formula?

If you can, could you please explain how?

Kind Regards,

Chris

Replies

Chris Lothian
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Thanks Chris.

Keeping them simple, and a lot of trial and error is the only way i can get a formula to work, so was hoping to avoid creating complex Formulae. If you're able to help, i've posted again with the details of the specific formula:

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/asta-powerproject/537833/formula-duration-between-tasks-based-code-library-allocation

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Ray
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Chris,

if your not able to refer to other formulas, you will need to add the existing formula into the new formula e.g

formula 1 - display long for all task over 10 days and short for less than 10 days

if(duration > '10d', "Long","Short")

formula 2 - depending on the result of Long or Short display different messages

if(if(duration > '10d', "Long","Short")="Long","Task over 10 days","Task less than 10 days")

I would always recommend that when building a new formula, build it in small sections so you know that each part works.