Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

help program examples needed

7 replies [Last post]
margaret conway
User offline. Last seen 12 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I do a lot of programing in my job, however, I am self taught. There are no planners in our company to ask for help so I was hoping someone on here could help me out.

I am trying to put together a programme for a tender bid,  I have no issue with the construction bit, however as part of the submission I have to show briefing periods, development of main contractor design elements, design coordination, lead in times, letting of packages.

I was wondering if anyone could send me a sample programme they have done that incorporates these items so I know what it looks like or how to go about it. I have a feeling it could all look very messy if I try to put it all on the one programme.

Please help

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Margaret

The task-per-line mode in PowerProject is a useful tool - until you start to allocate progress when it all has to be done manually - rather than copy paste from an excell sheet.

The use of a trade hammock allows you to link your design approval tasks to the earliest trade deployment - even when the programme is revised and or updated.

Best regards

Mike Testro

PS It is not a good idea to put your email address in the open forum - that is what the private messages are for.

margaret conway
User offline. Last seen 12 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

use private message service

It is not a good idea to put your email address on the open forum - there are spammers about.

Anthony Mocke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

What's your email addy???

margaret conway

Hi Mike, thanks very much for this, I was just interested how other planners set out the design/procurement programmes.

I have been putting all the items on the one line and giving each a code libray with a different colour to distinguish it. For example I would have a code library for design approval. etc.

Will give your suggestion a go and introduce hammocks.

Thanks very much for your help

Mike Testro

Hi Margaret

It is to your benefit that you are self taught and not being influenced by bad advice from trained planners.

It is a pity that you cannot invest a rather modest sum to gain experience from a self taught planner with 20 years Asta experience.

The following is a brief description of how I set up a design - procurement programme.

1. Set up a hammock for each trade package.

2. Filter all the trade tasks in turn and add them to the respective hammocks

3. Set up a standard design procurement task cascade all FS links and all set to ALAP:

3.1   Design complete milestone

3.2   Prepare tender package - 5 days

3.3   Tender period - 15 days+

3.4   Tender appraisal - 5 days

3.5   Award package - either for sub-contract or material procurement

3.6   Workshop drawings - 15 days + for M&E

3.7   Design approval and co-ordination - 10 days max

3.8   Manufacture - as appropriate

3.9   Mobilisation - 5 days

3.10  Delivery - as appropriate

3.11  Stock control on site - 3 days

3.12  Start on site milestone

Copy each cascade for each trade and link to start of the respective trade hammock.

Not every task will be required for every trade package so turn the unwanted tasks into milestones rather than delete them.

Reschedule and all your procurement cascades will drop into place against the earliest start for each trade.

As the trade tasks move then your procuement tasks will always be linked to the earliest start of each trade package.

You will find that you cannot link directly to the start of a hammock - I have worked out how to do it so I leave that last bit to your imagination.

Best regards

Mike Testro

margaret conway

Hi was wondering if anyon could end me a sample programme so I could work from there, unfortunatley I cant afford to pay £200 for a course and my boss would defintely not pay it. :(

Mike Testro

Hi Margeret

All these methods - plus many more - are to be found in Planning Academy Advanced Planning Tuitpon Modules.

Goto www.planningacademy.org to purchase the modules.

Best rehards

Mike Testro