Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Two week look ahead

12 replies [Last post]
Craig Adams
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Planners,

Would like to create a two week look ahead in the time slice that takes today and two weeks ahead - anyone done a macro for this or know how else to do?

Kind regards,

Craig Adams

Replies

Dominic Planner
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 23 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is this method still applicable to version 13.0.02.069?

This is the version of Asta that I am currently using but a bit stumped when it comes to following the calender filter logic and apply it to one of my programmes. 

Any thoughts? 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Kunle

Welcome to planning planet.

A word on etiquette.

When you have a topic of general interest then please start a new one and not confuse an existing thread.

So please start a new topic in Asta Power Project on Filtering on Codes and I will answer it for you and clear this exchange.

Best regards

Mike Testro - Moderator.

kunle l
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good day al

I am new to the forum a d new to planning with Asta powerprojects.Please how do i set filters by code libraries to view acavities of the same from my programme. 

Andrew Willard
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

Glad to be of assistance.

Regards

Andrew
Mike Testro
Hi Andrew

Learn something new every day - thanks for that little gem.

Although wnen you get to my age I try to forget something every day - trouble is I never know if I have succeeded.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Andrew Willard
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Craig,

In the filter wizard where you normally select dates instead of selecting a date, select the option at the bottom of the calendar that says variable dates. Select Today. For the end of the slice again select Today. It should now say Today in the text box. Add + 2w i.e so it says Today + 2w.

That will do the trick.

Andrew
Craig Adams
Hello Mike,

No problem, takes 5 minutes to do but if can be automated why not investigate this option?

Am concerned if I forget to do or too busy to update will create an issue for all sites.

OK may be getting a little pedantic but if can be automated would rather set and forget!

Kind regards,

Craig Adams
Mike Testro
Hi Craig

You can still use the enterprise settings on a standalone setting.

When you go to the time slice options it always defaults to todays date on the Start section - you have to adjust the End date.

But for heavens sake Craig - it takes five minutes to do.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Craig Adams
Hello Mike,

Thanks for your replies

No not working in Enterprise yet - still sorting deployment of this. Am however trying to prepare for this hence trying to create views that users on site will access and not have to navigate around in.

What you have suggested means I will have to continually go back and change the parameters of the time slice criteria - this is what I’m trying to avoid and is why I asking if anyone knows if a time slice can be made so that once you set it it always references today as the start and two weeks ahead as the end.

Do you think it is possible to create?

May have to ask the guys at Asta for this one.

Kind regards,

Craig Adams
Mike Testro
Hi Craig

So you are in Enterprise - that makes things simpler.

Make sure that you have the Enterprise button ticked in the Options > General > Client Status > Dialogue Box.

Run the filter for the look ahead that you want.

Open up the View > Save As > Un Tick Project View > Tick Open to all users.

Click OK then go back to View and open View Properties

Check that you have the right filter in the box and then tick Lock View.

When you set up User Access in the library you can limit the rights of all your users.

The project view Icon can be moved into the Tool Bar so 1 click will bring the drop down.

All you have to do is go to the filter at regular intervals and change the dates.

If you have multile views allocated to many users it is good practice to put leading zero numbers at the start of exch title - 01 Look Ahead ---- 01.01 Big Project etc then the View drop down will be orderly.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Craig Adams
Hello Mike,

Didn’t explain myself well enough. OK with creating time slices and the different options in this section.

I’m wanting to create views that will be accessed via the enterprise environment - so I’m trying to make simple click selections that activate views that site users can use without having to know how to navigate in the program.

Want to create a view activated by a button that gives site staff a two week look ahead without having to do anything other than click the "Two week look ahead button".

The selections in the filter dialogue box give me "Today", "End of week", "End of Month" etcetera but I want from "Today" and too "Two weeks from today" in the view. Two weeks from today isn’t a choice but I’m thinking it could be created, hence my question.

Kind regards,

Craig Adams
Mike Testro
Hi Craig

In the Filter dialogue box there is the section that says:

Filter From > Filter too dates

You also have several options in respect of tasks that start or end within or outwith the frame.

You can also combine this with trade package filters so you can show - for instance - only plastering work in the time frame.

When you have set up your filters save each one in the Views function where you can pull it up with the click of a mouse.

Best regards

Mike Testro