Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

1st time using Asta PowerProject -Any tips?

4 replies [Last post]
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
I’ll be donig a baseline review in a week or so using APP. I’ve used the free Asta Project Viewer before, but not the full package.
As I won’t have much time to play with the software before I sue it in anger, any tips / key differences vs Primavera / things to look out for / etc from the experienced users on this esteemed forum would be most welcome.

Ta muchly,

G

Replies

Sebastian Giambrone
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thank you Paul this is just what I am looking for. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Gary

The one thing that drives new PP users nuts - especialy those migtrating from P3 P6 is the "Views" menu.

This allows you to set up different forms of presentation and give it a label - for instance only summary bars - or a particular trade filter and then freeze it as a view.

This is a very useful tool when you know how to use it but if you don’t know what you are doing you could find yourself inadvertantly "flipping" between someone elses pre-determined veiws and you won’t know what is happening.

Spend your 1st 10 minutes in the help section on Views and take a bit of time practising switching so you know what is happening when you find yourself staring at a completely different screen.

Otherwise send me a PP message and I will give you my phone number so I can assist directly.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks, Paul -I shall read it tonight after the cricket!

Cheers,

G
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
There is an article on my web sites that you may find useful under Technical Papers titled "Asta Power Project - an introduction".

This document is designed to assist people who are using SureTrak, P3, Primavera Enterprise or Microsoft Project to learn the basics of PowerProject to create and progress an unresourced schedule.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
www.primavera.com.au