Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Weather

2 replies [Last post]
Marian Olaru
User offline. Last seen 37 weeks 15 hours ago. Offline

During execution we have "problem" with bad weather condition.

How we put this "nonworking" period in time schedule ?

How we link with other activity ?

Replies

Marian,

you wrote that bad weather happened during execution.

It means that entering actual data you shall exclude from the input table those activities that were not executed in report period or enter smaller actual volumes and actual work hours if activity execution was slower than planned.

Performance interruptions do not create new links (logical dependencies) with other activities.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 28 min ago. Offline
  • Create a calendar exception.
  • Apply the exception to the calendar(s) of impacted activities. If the calendar is shared among impacted and non impacted activities create as many calendars are necessary to keep them apart.  Easy if using copy-paste.

Planning and Accounting for Adverse Weather - 84R-13 

Planning for adverse weather in Construction Projects

Spider allows for an alternate method based on rain hours rather than rain days as follows: We don't know when the rains (or snow, or extreme cold) may happen. - Based on expected weather we can define 24/7 work weeks with different work minutes per hour.  Then we set calendar exceptions as to apply the right week to different periods of our Rain Calendar.  We apply the work calendar to the activity and a Rain Resource with the Rain Calendar.  As a forward looking method I find it better but harder to maintain because all exceptions applied to what we now know no rain happened must be erased. 

At home rain days approach is what is required and this I follow in my schedule submittals.  For short term management I keep a separate optimistic version I update the schedule recording rain days as they happened but assume no rain days in the future.  Imagine I had a "planned" rain day and it does not happens, such plan will artificially delay some activities.