Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Table reports

12 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I am just looking at the table reports and have the following question, regarding the below example of a schedule and a Resource-Hours report:

1) Question 1: in the below example of the report what is exactly Object and and what is Parameter?

2) Question 2 : how do I get rid of the resource being mentioned at the lowest level (I marked it in red) ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1FBt_G3gCVqZEp0MHl2NEpNZk0/edit?usp=sharing

photo TableReport_zpscc4451b9.png

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 27 min ago. Offline

Bodgan,

Identifying indents might not add much value other than placing the multi-valued name field on appropriate column so it does not get messed up under complicated resource assignments. A response to Evgeny request, it is something I have no real need for. To communicate schedule I see no substitute to electronic file and viewing the data using the software or the free viewer. For other audience a screen capture or a PDF is enough. 

I use Excel every hour of the day but rarely to transfer Spider Data, even when it is available at a click of the mouse, for these purposes I find Reference Books superior method. Transfer of row color to Excel is implemented but not the indentations within Name field, here text functions might yield desired indentation while other formulas can transfer the Name value to appropriate columns. 

Anyway Spider software somehow creates the indentation flawlessly. 

photo indlevels01_zps746789a1.jpg

I entered L1A & L2 values manually I have not worked on the formulas yet.

Note that Skill bar is missing.

I would rather like to see Spider Team finish their work on Tornado Charts for Monte Carlo, something that cannot be done with 3 scenarios approach.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline

Rafael,

I had no intention of creating indents for the column, I intended to find a simple solutin for Evgeny Z problem regarding reporting. 

I don't think indentation can be created with a user formula since it would require a FOR function (formula using For () functions - number of indent levels = number of For (Functions) ).

Best Regards,

Bogdan

Rafael Davila

Bodgan,

Thanks, it seems to identify the meaning but still misses to identify hierarchy; in the following figure you will see Resource A under Team 1 and also under a Resource Skill but at a different level as you can see from the hierarchy indentations.

photo xcv125_zps0e6d81a6.jpg

I would label the new field as Objects.

How to display missing Level values is another issue as in the example above resource A is under different hierarchical levels but it is still a resource line. Using two separate level definitions comes to my mind, one level definition for phase and activities and a separate level for assigments, the sum of two will give you the indentation/column number.

In the case of Resource A under Resource Skill - Team 1 phase and activity level would be 2 while assigment level would be 3 for a total of five indentations. Knowing the indentations then transfer to Excel can be performed using a separate column for each indentation instead to a single column. 

I love the way Spider works with the indentations on a single field column, there is a lot behind the scene.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Bogdan Leonte

Rafael,

I forgot about teams, did not care about skills since they end up as being resource or multi-resrouces. Try this:

TestColumn = if ( Level = 1, 'Project Phase', if (NumDays = '' and DPH = '' and Variable = '' and Level = '', 'Team', if (NumDays = '' and DPH = '' and Level = '' and Variable != '', 'Multi-Resource', if ( NumDays = '' and DPH != '' and Variable = '' and Level = '', 'Skill', if ( NumDays = '' and Level = '', 'Resource', if (DPH = '' and Level != 1, 'Phase', 'Activity' ) ) ) ) ) )

I hope this considers all combinations, if not tell me so I can look at it again.

As you can see the order is pretty much a mess, if you desire you could re-arrange the conditions according to the default order of the columns in the layout:

Level, BSC, DPH, NumDays, Variable (I think this is the order).

Best Regards,

Bogdan

Rafael Davila

Bodgan,

After scheduling your solution seems to work, with the exception of Teams and Skills.

photo z123_zps5be934de.jpg

Best Regards,

Rafael

Bogdan Leonte

Rafael,

Here is my solution for separating the 5 objects (project phase, phases, activities, multi-resource, resrouces):

1. User define field, (check the text option for it's contents) - I named it TestColumn;

2. The formula (which will be applied after sheduling, if desired).

TestColumn = if ( Level = 1, 'Project Phase', if (NumDays = '' and DPH = '', 'Multi-Resource', if ( NumDays = '', 'Resource', if (DPH = '', 'Phase', 'Activity' ) ) ) )

I belive this should cover all possible combinations.

3. Add the user define field in the report, see the image below.

param_4.jpg

Best Regrads,

Bogdan

Rafael Davila

Evgeny;

RE: Is there are way to add column, which shows, whether this is activity, phase, or resource (I did not manage to find a way).

• It is still pending, looks like Name is a multivalued field and solition is not easy, but the information is there, it is even painted in color.
  • Using UDF [user defined fields] and formulas might be an option but looks complicated. Field for Levels only show WBS Level but empty for Activities/Resources/Multi-Resources/Teams.
    • A field to identify Object Type [WBS/Activity/Resource/Multi-Resource/Team] would be handy. It will answer your question, an issue I have been looking at before, and may even add some understanding as to what an Object is.

Rafael

Evgeny Z.

Bogdan, Rafael, thanks.

It is clear now

Rafael Davila

I understand;

• Parameter Fields define what values you will see on the data area at Right Pane, they are selected as shown by Bodgan.
  • Objects are represented, as defined by Bodgan, and shown by the Levels displayed on the active Gantt when you create the report.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Bogdan Leonte

Q1:

param_1.png

param_2.png

Q2:

The colors are exported if you are using the the full version. In the demo version the export to excel is done via CSV. This option, if I remember corretly has been implemented since 11.01.01, before that you could not export to excel if you were using the demo version.

Regards,

Bogdan

Evgeny Z.
Rafael, thanks.  Q1 So, regarding the Parameter and Object, did I mark them correctly in the picture below? I must say this naming is a bit confusing.   photo Parameterampobject_zpsfc65d416.png Q2: On this table report, Activities, phases, resources are shown in different colors, however this color-coding disappears, when table is exported in Excel. Is there are way to add column, which shows, whether this is activity, phase, or resource (I did not manage to find a way). The goal is to make it clear, once it is exported in Excel Regards.
Rafael Davila

Evgeny,

1) Question 1: in the below example of the report what is exactly Object and and what is Parameter?

• Open the Job and keep it selected on the Open Documents Window
  • Double-Click on Report Templates Icon
  • Double-Click the report Template you used to create the report - I had to recreate your report in order to follow your questions. Learn to save report templates and how to transfer the reports via Reference Books.
  • Go to the Parameters Tab - here you will see the selected parameters are Resource A/B/C/D/F Hours.
  • Go to the Rows and Columns Tab - here you will see the objects

2) Question 2 : how do I get rid of the resource being mentioned at the lowest level (I marked it in red) ?

• In the Activity Gantt select Expand-Activities, resource rows will be hidden, then create the report using your template, it shall be the same report but without the hidden resource rows.
  •  photo 2-3-20148-38-15PM_zps17810a4c.jpg

Hope this helps,

Rafael