Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Conditional Scheduling

8 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 51 min 16 sec ago. Offline

switch condition

I already worked out my first switch activity and works perfectly when using dates of the switch activity itself, but I would like to make the condition to compare field values of other activities. Say Switch activity code is 100 but would like to compare finish of activity 200 to late start of activity 250.

I understand is on development but wonder if the above is already available or if not if it will be available. I also would like to make similar comparison in regular formulas.

Regards,

Rafael

Replies

Rafael,

you are right and thanks for your proposals - we will add these features in January.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Rafael Davila

Vladimir,

Spider Solution is just what I was looking for, as a matter of fact it is correct when it does not display any bar and dates for activities that are canceled by the switch, here my solution is misleading. Highlighting these is a matter of transparency. Then under the Links View and at the Activity Network  (PERT View as named by others) logic will be investigated.

There is no such option for hiding the canceled activities under the Activity Network Diagram, perhaps hiding them here do not make sense but an option to highlight which were canceled might be convenient. Maybe Switch Activities shall be displayed using another shape, say a rectangle with round corners, and instead of dates the switch data such as the state of switch and switch condition could be displayed.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael, you can select in the Gantt Chart options if to show activities that were not selected by switch:

Photobucket

Is this what you are looking for?

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Rafael Davila

Photobucket

Switch offAlthough I understand that under conditional scheduling a chain of activities that follows a No switch shall not be considered on the schedule computations and that under resource leveling it would result in wrong schedule I find it convenient to toggle on/off the switch activities to follow the logic of the model on the Gantt, in addition to the Activities Table. I can do this using the formulas as shown above. Is there any other alternative? Any comments? No shame if I am wrong, I am just starting to scratch the surface of this functionality.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael,

when you open project portfolio it behaves the same way as one large project.

You can apply the same approaches but only when the portfolio is opened.

But I like your idea about linking fields of different projects that belong to the same portfolio without opening.

I will discuss it with our programmers after my returni from Construction CPM Conference.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Rafael Davila

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A314H5ds7Xw

Easy, reference to other activity fields works.

Thanks

Rafael Davila

Perfect, it is just what I was looking. Guess I have to do some homework with it and a few other fields.

What about looking at field values of other jobs in a Portfolio? The same table names but using portfolio codes? Will be easier for me if you give me the clue.

Also wonder about what when you have a few individual fields locked to some viewers.

By the way I liked how some date fields are hidden for activities ruled out by a switch. Here everithing makes sense, no further explanations needed.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Hi Rafael,

this functionality already exists.

You may create user Field (A for example) and enter Formula A[Code, 200]=Fin[Code,250]

Applying this formula you will get in the user field A of activity with code 200 finish date of activity with code 250. This is just an example, you can use other, more complex formulae.

If necessary you can use cell data that exist in other Spider tables. In this case you shall add the name of the table. Example Calen [Сode, 2] = Calen [Code, А, Resource] The calendar of activity with code 2 will be the same as the calendar of resource with code A.

Best Regards,

Vladimir